• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 586E injection pump & a gradall with a huge oil leak from thecrankcase vent

pajibson

Have an extremely leaky injection pump on an older case forklift. Its basically a cummins 3.9 but I've never dealt with this kind of pump on one. see attached pics. the question is do I pull one of these pumps the same as a bosch inline pump? On a related note: on another piece of equipment (same engine)I am getting some serious blowby. Oil is literally running out of the blowby tube from the tappet cover. Anything I should look for when I go in there? 20140913_160235.jpg20140913_160759.jpg20140913_161033.jpg20140913_161338.jpg

Delmer

It's leaking from the governor/shut off shaft seals right? It looks like you can pull the cover off and replace those seals.

There are experts here who can tell you for sure, but they must be busy working or busting stumps with outboards:beatsme

For the oil leaker, check oil level, then compression. Turbo drain?

pajibson

Additional info that I forgot to include. The fuel cut solenoid doesn't appear to be working either. have voltage to it but no fuel coming out to the injectors. Although the owner says on a nice hot afternoon they can get it to start. It also apperas to be leaking from the screw on the side and every other damn place on it that could possible leak.

the oil leaker runs fine and it doesn't ALWAYS puor oil out of the vent hose. Example when I got to it today there was a pretty good puddle under the hose but when I started it there was almost no blow by coming out of it. but the carpenters that were using it said they've gone thru 2 gallons of oil this week. Thats why I was kind wondering about other ideas.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Did you pull the dipstick on "the oil leaker"?? You might be getting fuel in the oil and its blowing out.. That fix would be either a lift pump or front seals on the inj. pump.
as far as removing the inj pump on the other.. 2 diff methods.. BUT with either 1, your going to need a gear puller/steering wheel puller to get the drive gear off the inj. pump drive shaft.

1 is to time the engine.. Under the inj. pump is a plunger pin.. it will engage in a hole in the cam gear at TDC, #1cyl compression stroke.. Now, see the line on the mounting flange on the inj. pump, by the engine nameplate.. that's where the actual fine tune timing comes into play. It should be lined-up w/ the factory line..
Once you get the timing pin engaged in the hole.. there is a locked timing bolt on the side of the inj. pump.. loosen the bolt, slide the keeper down/up and tighten the bolt against the driveshaft of the pump..
Now go around to the front of the engine, remove the SCREW CAP w/ a BIG pair of channel locks.. under the cap is your drive gear and nut.. remove the nut and washer, install your puller and pop off the gear.. I like to put the nut back on, flush w/the end of the dr.sh so I don't mushroom the threads..
The gear/dr.sh. is a "tapered fit" and the dr.sh. is keyed..
Method 2>> forget about timing the engine.. the pump is keyed and will only go back 1 way..
PAY ATTENTION to the timing mark on the flange.. or make your own.. now go to the front and do as above.

There are SEVERAL tricks to timing the engine.. 1 is get the engine turning tool.. I got mine off amazon for about 40.00, it slides into a hole in the flywheel and all you have to do is use a rachet to turn the engine, while your pushing the pin..
2nd is.. ALOT of times, the dimple on the pin, that engages the hole, is sheared off... I ALWAYS remove the plastic pin to check for the dimple.. it will/should be held in place with a spring clip, just use a screwdriver to pop it out.. remove the pin w/some pliers.. check for the dimple.. REMOVE THE ORING.. lube the pin up and begin the timing procedure.. removing the oring will allow the pin to slide in its bore.
IF the dimple is still on the pin, GOOD.. IF NOT, you can use your finger or a mirror to look/feel the hole coming around.. if you want to get the broken plastic out of the hole, just heat up a small screwdriver w/ your lighter, press it into the plastic, wait for 10 seconds and pull it straight out..
Hope this helps.. TPG

Delmer. I WISH.. still waiting on the gears..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Forgot to mention, That pump is made by CAV/Delphi.. its known as a DPA pump.. any fuel shop in the area can rebuild/reseal it..about 650.00
if you go to Case, their going to tell you to go to Cummins.. and if you go there, they are going to sell you a ReCon pump...bring some lube...over 1000.00
Delphi factory HQ [US] is in Troy.. been there 100's of times..
If you don't want to go either route.. "I know a guy".. lol

pajibson

Completely forgot about this thread. resolution was getting the injection pump rebuilt on the case. the gradall was overfull on oil and had a whopper of a dent in the pan. new pan correct oil level. seems to have taken care of the problem.