• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580sm rear bucket quick connect fix?

RJExcavating

Hey everyone, first post here I’ve always found what I’ve been looking for. Haven’t seen a fix to my problem yet. Machines an 07 case 580 super m series 2 pilot controls. It has a rear bucket quick connect. I’m trying to go to a regular pin and snap rings. My problem is I don’t have the lines to the little hydraulic cylinder and I think even if I did they probably wouldn’t thread on the bucket side. The lines coming down the stick are capped but the ones for the bucket cylinder are junk. So at the moment I can’t get the bucket off if I needed to. What are my options here? Cutting through the rods on the cylinder sounds terrible. Do I try to retap the hydraulic fittings on the cylinder. Machine has 9800 hours on it she still runs and digs trench everyday I’m trying to take care of it. I’m thinking of doing a bore job on it because it is insanely sloppy. If anyone has done these swaps drop some knowledge for me

Tinkerer

A picture is worth a thousand words !
Four pictures from different angles are worth 4 thousand words.
What brand is the quick connect ?
Which cylinder are you trying to avoid cutting the rod ? Or did you mean the pins in the rod ?
No need to re-tap a cylinder fitting. The proper adapters should be available.

RJExcavating

So it’s a stock case quick coupler I have button next to the throttle to do the disconnect. One of the fitting is still in there broken off so I could probably get that one out and put a new line the other is plugged with dirt maybe I could clean it out and use it. It also looks like once I have the bucket off the cylinder is held in with set screws then I’ll be able to slide it out and replace with big bushings and a regular sleeve and pin. The reason why I want to get rid of the quick connect is because I’ve heard all the lines leak seeing as I’m digging trench. My machine has never had the lines so I wouldn’t know from experience but for ease I’d rather have a pin with snap rings

Attachments

• 9A50E88B-E6D3-4EAE-80EA-808A2A632337.jpeg
    9A50E88B-E6D3-4EAE-80EA-808A2A632337.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 11C9AD5F-DF60-45C0-AEC4-63731CCA4832.jpeg
    11C9AD5F-DF60-45C0-AEC4-63731CCA4832.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 25
  • FB40334F-F660-45D8-9940-0CFCC063C0AD.jpeg
    FB40334F-F660-45D8-9940-0CFCC063C0AD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • CF2C4E38-94F0-47D3-AC85-3A3A44CCEC3A.jpeg
    CF2C4E38-94F0-47D3-AC85-3A3A44CCEC3A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25

Tinkerer

Thanks for the photos !
We can now see the problem.
You could try drilling that cylinder port that is full of dirt and remove or open that fitting that is still on the cylinder.
There is a possibility that you could then pound the the pins back into the cylinder.
A big heavy duty "C" clamp may squeeze them into the cylinder.
The other option is cutting the pins off between the links and the bucket. It will be difficult.
The cylinder OD may be (probably) is larger that the pin holes in the links.
If it is, a simple straight pin won't work as a replacement.
My guess would be removing the cylinder any way you can, then the bore it was in would have to resized to fit the new pin.
Hopefully other HEF members will chime in with more or better info for you.

pin.jpg

Last edited:

RJExcavating

I was thinking if there is no hose connected to the fitting on it then the pins shouldn’t be holding out anyway. I don’t know how they are. I’ve seen pictures of people putting big sleeves in the end of the stick where the cylinder would be then they put a sleeve and a pin. I think I have the picture. So my biggest task will be getting the bucket off and the cylinder out. Here’s the picture of one being set up for a regular pin. They put those big bushings in liquid nitrogen to shrink them a bit press them in and I think it’s ready for a pin after that

Attachments

• EB08BFC9-0E01-4DA3-9799-B75C23019065.jpeg
    EB08BFC9-0E01-4DA3-9799-B75C23019065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14