• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580L

Big Daddy Den

Hey gang, I’m looking to see if I can change my #8 hydraulic lines to a bigger #10 line. Does anyone have any input on this? What are if any the downfalls, will the pump work harder then normal?? Will I lose power? I know I’ll have to ad hydraulic oil but just not sure if I should go ahead with this. Only doing this because I can get some hoses made up at work for free and it’s easier for the guy to make #10 hoses because he doesn’t have the right fittings for the #8...
Thanks, Den

Delmer

no problem, as long as the hose will fit the space and the bends aren't too tight for the bigger hose.

fpgm04

I recommend some caution. Has the guy at your work confirmed the free hoses he is going to give you are pressure rated for your machine’s hydraulics?

You may have already considered this, but keep in mind that the larger the hose diameter, typically the lower the working pressure rating will be. Going from a size 8 to 10 will typically reduce the working pressure rating of similar constructed hose by 20-30%. Ratings also vary by hose brand and type.

Here is an example table to point out the difference in pressure ratings by size and type.
https://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product-overview/hose-overview-chart

Bottom line, confirm the specific hose you are wanting to use are rated for the hydraulic system pressures of your machine.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
VERY GOOD info there, fpgm..
I did it once but it was only 1 line & it worked out fine.. EXCEPT getting that s.o.b. thru the boom pivot & THEN screwed on...!!

Big Daddy Den

I recommend some caution. Has the guy at your work confirmed the free hoses he is going to give you are pressure rated for your machine’s hydraulics?

You may have already considered this, but keep in mind that the larger the hose diameter, typically the lower the working pressure rating will be. Going from a size 8 to 10 will typically reduce the working pressure rating of similar constructed hose by 20-30%. Ratings also vary by hose brand and type.

Here is an example table to point out the difference in pressure ratings by size and type.

Bottom line, confirm the specific hose you are wanting to use are rated for the hydraulic system pressures of your machine.

Big Daddy Den

I did confirm the operating pressure through the Case dealer here in town and he said there shouldn’t be a great deal of pressure loss, that it would basically be the same. Also the hoses are rated for the equivalent pressure rating.
Thanks for the tips they’re greatly appreciated.

Delmer

Are you talking about using #8 instead of #10 hose that's on the machine? in 1/8"s. The 10 is bigger. If you're going smaller, then none of our comments apply, the pressure drop won't be noticeable either.

Not having the 10 sized fittings makes more sense than not having the 8's.

Big Daddy Den

Are you talking about using #8 instead of #10 hose that's on the machine? in 1/8"s. The 10 is bigger. If you're going smaller, then none of our comments apply, the pressure drop won't be noticeable either.

Not having the 10 sized fittings makes more sense than not having the 8's.
I’m talking about going from #8 to a #10 hose. All the comments apply and are good advice. Thanks