• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k Swing Cylinder size

PAdutch1

I have a Case 580k Phase 1 that has a swing cylinder that needs a rebuild. It looks like they came in 2 sizes, 3.50" or 3.25" ID. Is there a way to tell which one I need without taking the cylinder apart and measuring?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Vetech63 knows his stuff. 135 times in my life I've been told to find numbers on a cylinder. Thus far I've not seen them. I live in VT, rustiest state on the planet, (maybe that's why).
580K has some dangerously fast swing! Over the years they added flow restrictors in the lines, eventually biggered the cylinders to slow the swing. They installed on some a swing sequence valve to limit the bang when it swung all the way.

Usually outside dimension is 1/2" more than inside.

PAdutch1

The fast swing almost got me good on a hill side. I think that what's might have blew the cylinder already on its way out. Interesting that they tryed to slow it with bigger cylinders.

Found a number on the cap (if that's what it's called). I have an inquiry to broken tractor:

C10860810587
IMG_20210405_190605331~2.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Oil fill controls swing speed. It takes longer to fill a bigger cylinder. They once offered flow restrictors to limit swing speed. The way Case is plumbed, oil supply is limited when other functions are active. I curl, crowd, boom up, and swing simultaneously. When other functions stop being active is when swing takes off like a rocket. I've run these hoes 16 years. Yes, I've banged a thing or two, including a hole in my wall once.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The fast swing almost got me good on a hill side. I think that what's might have blew the cylinder already on its way out. Interesting that they tryed to slow it with bigger cylinders.

Found a number on the cap (if that's what it's called). I have an inquiry to broken tractor:

C10860810587
View attachment 236977
Thats A G108608 cylinder part number indicates 3 1/4" Bore. swing.jpg