• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Phase 1 Grinding Gears

nicholasj

As an update to anyone who may come along and read this. I had some machining work done on the cracked housing and installed a pressfit machined sleeve to put the race in. The sleeve was dowlled and loctiited to prevent it from spinning. It is very important that the bearing is located exactly the same place because this sets your pinion depth. There is no way to adjust on these. The splined shaft that held my ring carrier was also wore out and allowed the carrier to move on the shaft quite a lot. I replaced the shaft and had a light press fit after that. I have found instances where both the carrier and the shaft had to be replaced to ensure a tight fit. Luckily mine was only the shaft because the carrier is upwards of $500. I also found that on the side without the difflock my spider gear backlash was way out of spec. I had to have the thrust washer machined to bring the side gear closer to the spider (less backlash). This changes your brake housing shim total, but mine was way off in the first place. There is a bushing in the side gear where it slides over the splined shaft that goes throught the carrier that also must be replaced. Finally the most difficult thing I came across was setting the rotating torque of the side gears where they go into the brake discs. The shims only come in three odd numberd sizes ( I can't recall the thicknesses). You not only have to maintain the proper rotating torque, but this also sets the ring and pinion backlash. It took me many frustrating hours to get this dialed in with only the 3 size shims available.

The 3 problems I had: A cracked housing, A loose carrier on the splined shaft, and incorrect brake housing shimming.

You will need a dial indicator, and a ft-lb and in-lb needle style torque wrench. The in-lb proved difficult to get, but I finally found that most bicycle shops either stock them or can order. I hope this helps:drinkup