1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

case 580k backhoe kingpin 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Lou Peterson, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Lou Peterson

Lou Peterson New Member

how much work is involved in repairing kingpins for a 580K 4 wheel drive

2. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Welcome to HEF, Lou !
    Quite a bit. Do you have a service manual ?
    If not I recommend that you get one because you will be needing it many times.
    I can copy and email you the pages showing the procedure if need them immediately.

3. Bootheal

Bootheal Well-Known Member

I also have a question if the kingpin you are referring to is the pivot shaft for the front axle.

How do you check for worn bushings & pin on the front axle?

580M

Thank you

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Lou has a 4 wheel drive. #12 and #16 are what his kingpins look like.
    Put a jack under the counterweight and slightly raise the front of the tractor. Any looseness can easily be seen in the axle center pin not the king pins. kp.png

5. Bootheal

Bootheal Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining the terms.

Tinkerer likes this.
  6. Lou Peterson

Lou Peterson New Member

thanks gang...for the info...big help for the brakedown

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Thanks for the update !

8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    My 1956 Powerwagon has a similar set up. The manual calls them trunion bearings. I'd say it isn't a big deal to replace, or reshim them. Mine needed seals, and if I recall we replaced wheel bearings at the time, the planetary was leaking.

If I recall correctly, they are tapered, and minor wear can be corrected by removing three bolts top & bottom, and removing shims. It IS something you'll want a manual for.