• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580k backhoe kingpin 4 wheel drive

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF, Lou !
Quite a bit. Do you have a service manual ?
If not I recommend that you get one because you will be needing it many times.
I can copy and email you the pages showing the procedure if need them immediately.

Bootheal

I also have a question if the kingpin you are referring to is the pivot shaft for the front axle.

How do you check for worn bushings & pin on the front axle?

580M

Thank you

Tinkerer

Lou has a 4 wheel drive. #12 and #16 are what his kingpins look like.
Put a jack under the counterweight and slightly raise the front of the tractor. Any looseness can easily be seen in the axle center pin not the king pins.kp.png

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My 1956 Powerwagon has a similar set up. The manual calls them trunion bearings. I'd say it isn't a big deal to replace, or reshim them. Mine needed seals, and if I recall we replaced wheel bearings at the time, the planetary was leaking.

If I recall correctly, they are tapered, and minor wear can be corrected by removing three bolts top & bottom, and removing shims. It IS something you'll want a manual for.