• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580G???

rcn11thacr

Looking at my first hoe and need some advise. I have not seen anyone talking here about a 580 "G", is there a reason for that? What makes the "G" different from others? Is this a good model? I dont have a picture but if you click here you can see it : http://daytona.craigslist.org/grd/895793755.html The guy says it is a 1984 63hp 2wheel drive and 16,530lbs SN#3936869 and asking 8500.00. I have a friend who runs a hoe for a living and intend to have him check it out for me before I buy it. I have not found any parts resources for it on the net either... Anyone have any specifications on this machine, lift cap, breakout force, etc? Any opinions would be appreciated

rcn11thacr

interesting, it says its 73hp, not 63hp. Is there a place where I can find the other specifications I was looking for? What about fluid requirements, only in a manual I presume?

cat320

Charter Member
the G was not online too long if i remember right is any parts would probably be hard to get because of the short life of that series.

Goose

The 580G was built for the euopean market. It was note sold in the states. It will probably have a sideshift backhoe and the vertical type stabalizers. Most of the parts for the 580Se backhoe will work on the tractor but there are some parts and for sure on the backhoe that are special to the G series.

Goose

Just checked the parts book and they did offer the G with the standard backhoe also so it could have the normal to the US backhoe. There are still a few parts special to the G series that could be hard to get in the states.

rcn11thacr

Goose, how can I tell if the backhoe is usa or european? Would there be a certaion number in a certain place that I should look for? Thanks!

Goose

As I said the G series was made for the over seas market. Dont remember if it was built in the Burlington plant or not. Looking through the parts book the engine, transaxle and transfer case are all different than the machines built for the US. I would say to stay clear of the machine unless your local CASE dealer is willing to help you track down parts for a gray market machine. The parts should be available but may be hard to get in a timley manner.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I seen a 580G before, sideshift, that had a perkins motor I think unlike every other 580 since the E that had Cummins. I'd stay away from perkins and go for a U.S. model with the Cummins engine.

rcn11thacr

Hmm, this info give pause for thought. Let me give a very short history of how this deal was concieved and what I plan to do with the machine. Then I would like to know if the general opinion is still the same. I'm fine if the answer is still the same, I just want to know for sure. The owner is wanting to trade the hoe for my 1968 firebird that is a 9 second 1/4 mile street legal car with a big block chevy. As we all know its not easy to get rid of a gas guzzler in our economic times, so this is a way out for me. No money out of pocket either except transoprt fees. I do not intend to use this machine to make a living. I need it to clear trees on a home site, clear fence lines, help with foundation work on a home and shop, etc...I though of going the traditional compact tractor route but the reality is I really dont need a pto. I just need to dig, push, and lift. These types of labor require lots of horsepower and hyd pressure, not something a compact tractor are known for. I intend to keep my acrage wooded for hunting, so Im not interested in bush hogging, if I need that I can borrow my brothers tractor. All this being said, if I have to wait for a part its not gonna mean I cant put food on the table. If the part is not available at all thats another issue all together. As long as the parts are available waiting isnt really going to be the end of the world. Now that you have some history, should I still pass? (It's not been easy getting someone to trade as it is, took 3 months to find this guy)

Goose

I'd say if you have a dealer close to you who is good to work with it and willing to go the extra mile to help you it could be worth a gamble is the price is right. My only fear other than that would be if the machine has a problem or in the future that you cant get a oddball overseas part for and you end up with a 12000 lb anchor. We have delt with a few graymarket machines at work and most of the parts we have been able to get. Sometimes the manufacture would have to send us the parts marked as another part to get around the issue of the machine was not supposed to be sold in the states. It was real hard to get engine parts for graymarket machines due to the epa regulations since the engines did not meet US emissions. Good luck if you decide to get the machine and keep us posted.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Having 2 cats with perkins and dealing with JCB that had perkins. Im all set, I prefer Cummins.

On the subject of a 580G, I actually saw another one at my dealer yesterday. It looks like an E model but up close the rear end is different, the front end look different, some controls in the cab looked different, and I still think it has a perkins motor.

rcn11thacr

J580SL; Did you happen to see the price, if so was it comparable to the one Im looking at? Is there anyone who may have data on pricing for these machines?

jcmarleau

This is what is call grey stuff as it was imported from Europe , this is the exact version of the model Case super E except for the engine is a David Brownand a few other items. so if you search for spec just view the one for the 580SE and most everything is the same. hope this can help. jc

ClayShifter

Occupation
Heavy plant operator, Imerys Minerals.
The 580G was built for the euopean market. It was note sold in the states. It will probably have a sideshift backhoe and the vertical type stabalizers.

Indeed, the G was an European model, I worked a couple in my time.

It was a follow-on model from the F with vertical stabilisers and sideshift, but an improved cab, it had full sized doors rather than the slide back window.

On the Perkins/Cummins issue, it was a few years ago, but I thought ours ran the David Brown engine ???

I will enquire and get back to you on this, and may even find a photo or 2 :D