• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580e spindle nut removal

chrisdvorak

checking to see if anyone may have any tips for removing the spindle nut in the front axle hub (early axle 4 bolt kingpin) it's a six prong nut that is supposedly torqued to 850 foot pounds and requires a special socket that case wants 560$ for! I may be able to find a 4x4 truck socket that fits but they are all 1/2 drive and I don't think it would stand up to that kind of torque

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Fabricating the socket is about the only thing you can do.
The nut could likely be purchased at a bearing supplier - if you had the thread size & pitch (metric)
If you can get a new nut - snip the old one with the oxy torch - use the new nut to make the socket, or measure the old one up to fabricate the socket for removal.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
3/4 inch drive would handle that no issue . try harbor freight

chrisdvorak

I actually found a used socket that a dealer had, these front axles sure ain't cheap (or easy) to work on though ended up making a puller for the kingpins and I think case listed yet another specialty tool for the diff