• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E, Should I, Shouldn't I?

purnong

Howdy Guys
I'm currently looking for a backhoe here in sunny South Australia (Not) It's winter here
Anyway I have come across this 580E 4WD, 4in1 bucket and a selection of spare buckets for the hoe for $15k which isn't a bad price in this area
A few issue I've picked up on after looking at it have me a bit worried though and I'd appreciate some advice from you guys
The motor when cold had a definite miss and appeared to be running quite rich, Not really belching black smoke but a definite strong diesel exhaust smell to it
The air cleaner light will light up on anything above idle so I assume that's blocked and contributing to the rich smell but would that cause a miss?
The swing tower has a fair bit of play in it
I lifted the rear end off the ground with the hoe and when I let go of the lever it sank back to the ground on it's own, It lifted itself easy enough but wouldn't hold there
A couple of leaky rams, One on the loader and one on the hoe
The dipper arm control lever was almost seized solid and needed two arms to move it, Would this just need freeing up or is something more sinister at play here? (This is a two lever machine) The rear glass was missing so the levers have been in the weather
Both doors were rusted out on the bottom and probably need replacing
The owner is an old bloke who bought the machine new but now has dementia and can't drive anymore and I assume hasn't been maintaining this machine for a while either going by it's general condition
I'm quite prepared and capable to do my own mechanical work but I don't want to make a career out of working on this machine every time I want to use it so I guess my real question is if any of the above should have me running for the hills and looking for something else
Generally anything in that price range and under around here will get you into something fairly old like a JD400 two wheel drive no 4in1 type machine
Any advice appreciated, Thanks