• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E keeps burning up magnatic switches

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As midnightman stated, are Continuous Duty and Intermittent Duty solenoids look exactly alike, do NOT interchange. An accessory Relay from a HD Truck parts counter is what you need, or one directly from Case.

Midnightmoon

No offense but Thats not true on having to ground the solenoid to activate. It can be activated either way by the small posts. Ground one post activate other with power. Or power one post and activate with ground on other post

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sorry Midnightman but some of these, actually MOST Continuous Duty have a High Amp Pull In winding that opens when the switch is at full closed leaving a Hold In winding to keep it closed, the Ground side is the same for both pull in or Hold and if wire hot to wrong side can keep the pull in winding Hot where will cook.

Midnightmoon

Doesnt change the fact it will have power all the time while activated. It doesnt matter if its activated by hot or ground. The solenoid is not specific to being activated by hot or ground. It's the same as a relay. Its continuous duty meaning its meant to stay activated. I've used these for a very long time and never burned one up from wiring it wrong. It's my understanding those posts dont matter what's ground or hot or they would be marked. What issue are you having? How are you wiring it?

Attachments

• 51UaVaa2V5L._AC_.jpg
    51UaVaa2V5L._AC_.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4

Midnightmoon

1 supply 4 load
2 ground 3 signal
2 and 3 can be reversed
I've always run 2 right to solenoid mounting bolt 3 to switch to activate

Attachments

• diagram_h1_v2_jpg_2_1.jpg
    diagram_h1_v2_jpg_2_1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5

DaveA

No offense but Thats not true on having to ground the solenoid to activate. It can be activated either way by the small posts. Ground one post activate other with power. Or power one post and activate with ground on other post
used the part number and they gave me somthing differant. what they gave me was a single post trigger. that uses the grond to that post to actavate. I think I have other problems. like maybe a altenator putting out AC. I used a plow solinoid and it still heats up with no load,

jimg984

two large bolts power in and out to starter, when power is supplier from ing. switch to small bolt, it pulls in contacts for the two large bolts, whats the problem Willis?? IF there another small bolts is aux. power supply for things, the gound for solenoid comes from the its mounting to metal, frame/ect

Last edited: