• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E brakes

2ndmoto

Hello,

I bought a nightmare of a backhoe. Previous owner(s) failed on maintenance in many ways. Right now I am in the process of rebuilding the transaxle. I pulled the brakes apart, the right side (diff lock side) was full of oil. Left side was dry and full of brake dust. Wet side, brakes look good, dry side the brakes are wasted.

Serial number tag is destroyed. I have a parking brake on the countershaft. Attached picture shows the brake actuator.

upload_2021-4-5_13-47-13.png

1. Are these supposed to be Wet or Dry?
2. I could not find any wear limits for the disc actuators (part that contacts the brake disc). Anyone have access to this information?
3. I could not find any information on rebuilding the hydraulic actuator in the attached picture. Anyone know of a right up on this? Looks pretty straight forward, my concern would be spring and keeping it compressed while removing/inserting the circlip

Thanks in advance
-Jason

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
580E had both wet and dry brakes depending on when it was built. Wet brakes have metal discs and friction discs, dry were drum and shoe. I assume dry brakes on your hence brake dust in one side. Diff lock seals were bad for leaking on those machines.

2ndmoto

Thank you gggraham. I appreciate the information. Just to make sure I understand, this is what I have and would be a Drum and shoe (Dry brakes)
upload_2021-4-5_19-16-16.png

This is what you are referring to as metal plates and friction discs (wet brakes)
upload_2021-4-5_19-18-23.png

Thanks again
-Jason

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Yes correct. You may also want to check slave cyl for leaks causing oil build up in brakes, but more likely the diff lock seal. See attached picture.diff lock.jpg

2ndmoto

Thank you so much gggraham. I do appreciate it. Is number 17 something I should worry about?

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Part # 17 is just a plug in the end of the left side gear and shouldn't cause you any grief unless its been tampered with or damaged.. You stated earlier that the left side was dry and dusty so you should be good , # 20 lives in the right side gear and is the cause of the oily mess inside the brake housing, as long as you're in there, replace the bushing #19, if it's worn that could be the cause the failure of the diff lock seal...Could be the reason those brakes look good is because they were soaked and not grabbing ..they should probably be changed same time as l/s brakes because no matter how clean they seem, when they get hot more oil will "sweat out" with time...

2ndmoto

Thank you Stinky. Ill check that bushing out. The Case manuals are pretty bad for calling out service limits on parts. I did order new fibers for booth sides. I dont see a call out for the metal discs.

I am hoping to have the rear end out of it this weekend. I dont have any amenities where it is located, so working on it is always a challenge.

Best Regards
-Jason

davebb

Occupation
Retired mechanic and operator.
This seems like a good spot to ask this question. I'm looking at the brakes of my 580E and the discs look like the ones in post number 3 above, the top picture. I think mine is the serial number before sn 16270319. but the part number for the disc is the same up until the wet type discs. Can anyone tell me just how worn the disks can be before they're too thin. I measured mine at 3/8". They look like they should work but I'm not sure if the operating mechanism will run out of travel and then not apply the brake very well. I just can't find this info in the service manual.