• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E barter deal

itsgottobegreen

Well I do a lot of work for a home builder. They happend to tell me they are getting rid of their case 580e and getting a gehl skid loader. (owners idea, the project manager is against the idea(me too, since I do all their skidloader work) Well they asked me if I was interested in buying it. But I was sure, but I don't have the cash. Well they where like you want to barter for it. SURE!!!!!!!!! Since we are going to be putting in 150 trees for them in the next month. Thats going to be an expensive bill anyways:yup

They are asking $15,000
580E
2910 hours
4x4
new tires with in 400 hours
extendahoe
joystick hoe
really clean
tight pins on the hoe and loader
has the rust around the fenders and a little window under the cab is missing, needs a new seat.

Anybody thinks thats a fair price for the machine. And has anyone bartered for a backhoe as a payment for a job? I know I will need it to push snow with this winter. 12' pro tech should work just fine.

Also looks like you can take the hoe off this machine? How easy is that to do? anybody know.

Jeff D.

itsgottobegreen said:
They are asking $15,000
580E
2910 hours
4x4
Anybody thinks thats a fair price for the machine?
By using this tool from another post:
Dayexco said:
go to www.machinerytrader.com click on "auction results"....narrow down to the manufacturer, model, yr of what you own, it'll tell you what machines similar to yours have brought on recent auctions.
It appears it is a good deal.:yup

JRP3

That is an insane deal for a 4x4 in decent condition. Rigs like that are going for more than 20k with twice the hours around here. I was shopping for a 2 wheel drive Case 580 for a year and would have jumped on that in an instant at that price! Ended up giving 10k for a 2 wheel drive 580D and was happy about it. Grab it!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
It's a good deal, but not a screaming deal. I can get '96 Case 580L's out here with 3,000 hours, canpoy, 4x4, extendahoe w/ aux. for about $25,000. Nonetheless, you won't find anything better for $15,000 and you definately won't be able to barter for it. I say go for it!

dayexco

so everybody remains friends, write down both of your expectations of the barter down on a piece of paper, both sign and date it. will avoid LOTS of headache/heartache later

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't want to spoil the party here, but I've done a little reading on bartering and its merits. As a general rule, the advice I've read is if you can't afford to pay for the machine, you probably should not be bartering for that amount.

I've done my share of bartering but in the end I often wonder if it was really worth it.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Steve Frazier said:
I don't want to spoil the party here, but I've done a little reading on bartering and its merits. As a general rule, the advice I've read is if you can't afford to pay for the machine, you probably should not be bartering for that amount.

I've done my share of bartering but in the end I often wonder if it was really worth it.

I was thinking along the same line. There's a time and place for it, but it doesn't pay the bills like the green stuff unless you really put it to work to generate revenue. In the end though you know your own situation enough to decide if it will pay off.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I'll second what Steve said. I've also done a fair bit of bartering, and when it was all said and done I'd been better off getting paid for the work and paying for what I received. Not that it can't be good for both parties, it just has'nt been for me. $15,000 for that machine does'nt sound bad at all though!

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
580e

make sure u pull the rubber floor mat up and check for rot, had that happen on my second backhoe.

itsgottobegreen

mflah87 said:
make sure u pull the rubber floor mat up and check for rot, had that happen on my second backhoe.
I know cases are nortious for doing that. I guess thats why someone removed it years ago. So this one isn't rotted out inside. The rust is on top of the fenders and the driver door around the windows. My grandfather has repaired that on his buddies 580K so I am not to worried.

Its not the fact I can't afford it. I just don't have the cash laying around. Other wise it would have come home already.

We both agreed to write each other for checks for tax purposes. So I will get my $32,000 check from them, Then write them one for $15,000. (got to pay for the trees too) So really I would be buying it out right. I get to use it to do the job so I don't have to rent a mini to put in all these damn trees. :thumbsup

PROCUT1

Thats kind of a different story. Youre not really bartering.

Your getting paid to do the job for 32k.

Then you in turn are buying a machine for 15k.

In that case as long as the prices and expectations are the same , I would go for it.

itsgottobegreen

oh yea. Also I can throw a rock from my house and hit the owner of the home building company in the head. :thumbsup So I never have a problem getting paid.

JRP3

Considering the equipment he has listed in his sig I'd say he probably has a way to move it. In any case, it doesn't change the fact that it's a great deal for the backhoe as far as I can tell. Maybe things are just inflated here in Central NY, but that machine would easily go for 5k more than that.

itsgottobegreen

Electra_Glide said:
Are you already set up to move it?Joe

NO. But lucky me I got a buddy with a low boy that for $100-250 cash will move it any where in the state for me. Plus I got about 6 friends with single, tandom and tri-axle dump trucks that can tow it, if I get a trailer to move it on. :yup Its not going anywhere anyways. Its just going to be moved to where we plow snow and say there till spring.

JRP3 said:
Considering the equipment he has listed in his sig I'd say he probably has a way to move it.
I don't have the international 4700/4900 yet. But after this winter I will:rolleyes:

itsgottobegreen

Well today sucked. Found out the one owner of this home builder didn't know what the other was doing. So my great deal fell threw. Since the other owner sold the hoe for $10,000 to some guy. Boy is the owner I was dealing with was pissed. Since he knew I needed it for a snow contract.

JRP3

See if you can find the new owner and offer him 14,000. He makes a quick 4k and you save 1k. :bouncegri
Damn, 10k is insane, I'm jealous :Banghead

xkvator

a friend of mine's brother-in-law just sold a 2WD E for around $12k...