• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580D turbo 2wd transaxle diff housing

Curtis Petres

Need some help in regards to the pinion end bearing and snap ring in the bore of transaxle housing.The problem is the 3.5in bearing cup/race is smaller than the diameter of the bore in the housing, it seems there should be a pressed in sleeve with a groove to accept the snap ring of the bearing cup? Posting this for a friend, housing was previously disassembled by someone else so we have no clue as to what was in there, nothing shows up on the Case housing part diagram as to any sleeve or retainer, just shows the housing and ring and pinion set. The housing casting is #A157659 if anyone might have a spare or know the dimensions to have a sleeve machined, any ideas or help or leads greatly appreciated. I have included pictures thanks guys

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @Curtis Petres
The original transaxle housing did not use a sleeve at that (or any) bearing location.
The pictures you posted randomly in another post are not clear enough to be certain of condition of the machined bore for the bearing.
The Timken number for that bearing cup should be HM803110RB - which looks correct.
I am assuming that the cup is sliding into the bore with little or no resistance? OR is it definitely a different size?

The bore hole for that bearing has a habit of cracking through the lower web - when that occurs a common repair involves machining the housing to accept a fabricated sleeve which should be pressed in to retain the original part numbered cup in it's proper location.
If the bore for the bearing cup is bigger - then this type of repair may have been attempted in a previous rebuild - & it has not been successful.
If this type of repair was done to this housing - the crack should still be present..??

Curtis Petres

Wow, sounds like you know exactly the situation alrman,yes the bore is larger than the bearing race, obviously was machined before to accept a sleeve, second or third hand machine for sure, it is all beginning to make sense now. Can't see any visible cracks, I assume we could get a sleeve machined, but the tolerance for the groove for the snap ring might be an issue? Would it be a better idea to find a decent diff housing, or have a sleeve made? The transaxle housings seem to be in short supply from what I have found, at least according to what I have come across online. My buddy has checked with a few machine shops, for the most part they are unwilling to tackle the job of fabricating a sleeve, or want a pile of cash to do it. Can kind of understand if it has to be assembled and taken apart numerous times to check and recheck tolerances. It seems the best course would be to find another part? I have to say a huge thank you for the reply alrman........excellent forum!!! THUNDER FROM DOWN UNDER..... CHEERS MATE!