• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580ck Shuttle issues

Craig Lewis

I have a 1968 580ck 188D that has been a great machine for the twenty five years I have owned it. Put a new hydraulic pump on it maybe ten years ago but that's about it aside general maintenance. It sits mostly but starts right up for grading my long grave drive or moving firewood with the loader. I had a load of wood in the loader and after dumping ...no reverse.
To make long story short...I pulled the shuttle cover and find the reverse drum and discs all afloat. Can wiggle them all apart. Can't see anything broken but guessing it could be a broken snap ring, maybe worse. I have a decent garage, am handy mechanically, and have the tools, but not sure where to begin. Can I break it at the transmission, free the rear end, and get it out that way. Any advice would sure be helpful. Thanks, Craig

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If you have a backhoe one it you will have to remove it. Then remove the canopy if you have one one it also. Then split the transaxle from the torque tube just in front of the four speed shifter. You have four bolts (two on each side) and four nuts two on the bottom and two hidden under the shuttle cover under the lip at the back of opening. Of course your will need a good bottle jack and a good floor jack. Do you have a service manual for the tractor part?

Craig Lewis

If you have a backhoe one it you will have to remove it. Then remove the canopy if you have one one it also. Then split the transaxle from the torque tube just in front of the four speed shifter. You have four bolts (two on each side) and four nuts two on the bottom and two hidden under the shuttle cover under the lip at the back of opening. Of course your will need a good bottle jack and a good floor jack. Do you have a service manual for the tractor part?
Thanks Coy,
I removed the hoe and have no canopy. I see the four bolts on the trans and will look in the shuttle case for the hidden ones. I assume I have to remove the bolts holding the rear end so I can roll it back. I do have both the service and parts manuals but it doesn't show splitting the tractor. i do see that it is a Rockford shuttle. Does the shuttle pull through the rear of the case?
Thanks for the advice, I'll get on it.
Craig

AZ47

I have a 1968 580ck 188D that has been a great machine for the twenty five years I have owned it. Put a new hydraulic pump on it maybe ten years ago but that's about it aside general maintenance. It sits mostly but starts right up for grading my long grave drive or moving firewood with the loader. I had a load of wood in the loader and after dumping ...no reverse.
To make long story short...I pulled the shuttle cover and find the reverse drum and discs all afloat. Can wiggle them all apart. Can't see anything broken but guessing it could be a broken snap ring, maybe worse. I have a decent garage, am handy mechanically, and have the tools, but not sure where to begin. Can I break it at the transmission, free the rear end, and get it out that way. Any advice would sure be helpful. Thanks, Craig
Coy is right, the tractor needs to be split. I had to split mine a few weeks ago to replace the ring and pinion gears. While I had it apart I rebuilt the shuttle. I would suggest that you remove the loader bucket to lower the front end weight, raise the arms as high as possible and place a long piece of angle iron on the cylinder rod and strap it with a hose clamp. This will prevent the loader arms from leaking down and falling. For more safety I also used a heavy chain and come-a-long attached to the loader arms and the overhead steel beam in my shop. Several support jacks and a strong floor jack will be needed. The hydraulic return line must be disconnected as well as the brake lever rods and a few other connections. Once the tractor is split about 20 inches the idler gear can be removed and the shuttle will slide out. Have fun!

Craig Lewis

Coy is right, the tractor needs to be split. I had to split mine a few weeks ago to replace the ring and pinion gears. While I had it apart I rebuilt the shuttle. I would suggest that you remove the loader bucket to lower the front end weight, raise the arms as high as possible and place a long piece of angle iron on the cylinder rod and strap it with a hose clamp. This will prevent the loader arms from leaking down and falling. For more safety I also used a heavy chain and come-a-long attached to the loader arms and the overhead steel beam in my shop. Several support jacks and a strong floor jack will be needed. The hydraulic return line must be disconnected as well as the brake lever rods and a few other connections. Once the tractor is split about 20 inches the idler gear can be removed and the shuttle will slide out. Have fun!

Craig Lewis

Thanks AZ47 for the advice, well taken. Still trying make room to roll it in. I will remove the loader bucket and support the shafts as you say. I don't have the steel beam but I can punch the arms up from the cement floor. How is the return line involved? Maybe you could give e some advice as to the best place to get the shuttle rebuild kit. Thanks for the help.

AZ47

The return line is attached to the hydraulic fluid filter next to the loader controls. There is a flex hose going from it to the "U" shaped metal tube that crosses over just ahead of the steering control and down to each side reservoir. It will be in the way of the steering control as the tractor is split. You won't know if you need a full rebuild kit for the shuttle until it is apart. Mine was in good shape actually but I went ahead and put in new friction discs while apart. Dale at Tractor Stuff can get the full rebuild kit for you, expensive, or you can order the friction plates and springs from him separately. Good man to work with.

AZ47

I have spoken with both Dale and Debbie several times in recent weeks and over the past month or so there have been some major issues taking place at Tractor Stuff. First were several lightening strikes that knocked there phone lines and internet service which was then limited for several weeks. Then Dale had surgery followed with issues where he is only working half days. They are trying to catch up with orders and shop work and falling behind. Hopefully Dale will recover soon and things will be back to normal.