• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580ck lost loader hydraulics

kabuti

we were levelling some dirt backwards & lost all loader functions, I'm not sure if the pump failed or? I topped off fluid, little low & bucket barely tilts back/forth but zero lift/lower. How to troubleshoot? Thanks

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I'm assuming that the backhoe does not function as well. So if that's the case then like mitch504 said you probably have a stripped coupler. Good luck in getting it off with the loader down.

kabuti

hoe isn't being used. i thought it might be control valve but that doesnt make sense. I can hoist the bucket out of the way to change the pump. I replaced the original pump a few yrs ago. I don't know why it would fail again. Thanks

kabuti

well, the bucket tilt forward & back seems to work o.k.,& tge levelling cyl., seems to be working. i think it must be tge very worn & beginning to leak control spool valve. Can it be rebuilt or just replaced?

Delmer

I don't think a worn spool valve would do this. Is the spool itself actually moving? does the control handle feel the same as it did before?

I'd do some pressure tests before taking apart any valves that aren't obviously broken, but might try a few other tests first.

kabuti

it acts like there is equal pressure holding the up/down cyl's in place, as if fluid is bypassing somewhere? tge control feels the same but is very worn.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Does the engine load up when you operate the bucket tilt to the end of the cylinder stroke? - as it normally would have?
If not, It's possible the main relief valve has something stuck in it - holding it open.
I still wouldn't overlook the possibility of the pump coupling slipping on the pump spline either.

kabuti

tilting the bucket all the way down causes the engine to 'strain' (at the end of the stroke)the cylinders are retracted. With the bucket tilted up (the cyld's extended) no change in engine whatsoever.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I would check your hoses and hose routing. Has any of the hoses been replaced for bucket operation? Does the loader lift function as it should? You might have a piece of the hose on the inside of the one hose blocking the flow of oil in one direction.

kabuti

hoses all need replacing [museum pieces for sure] Lift does not function at all, only the bucket works. Hoe is not being used & not attached. I replaced the pump in 2011& its just a helper on the farm, nothing very difficult

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
You said the hoe wasn't being used, is it hydraulically hooked up so you can check its functions? If the hoe functions and puts a load on the engine when cylinders are bottomed then the problem is probably not in the drive coupler or the main relief even though it is contained in the loader valve. If you take the main relief apart do not disturb the acorn nut settings, just remove the whole body and retrieve the spring and plunger internal to the loader valve. inspect the screen and clean it thoroughly the plunger has a very tiny orfice that if plugged will kill the whole hydraulic system, only once in all of them that I have worked on have I seen one that the screen came off and jammed the plunger open.

As far as the cylinders I would do a simple heat test on them, have someone run the machine at high idle and hold the hoses with the loader valve in raise mode and after a few minutes if you have a cylinder problem the hoses to the leaky cylinder will start to warm up. Sometimes your senses will tell you as much as a fancy test instrument which most do not have access to, also test your loader bucket cylinders the same way, also the hydra leveling cylinder.

kabuti

yeah, it just seems like the lift cyl's are 'stuck' & one side 'droops' lower than the other but the bucket will push off tge ground & raise the lift cyl's up a few inches. The hoe is not attached to tractor. A hose may have deteriorated into the system & clogged something, they are falling apart. Main relief is on loader controls? Thanks

kabuti

1st i'm going to change hyd filter & maybe fluid. The gauge may not work & its been years, prolly need change every year.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Not against changing oil and filter but that is not a magic wand, make sure the oil you buy is the best quality as cheap brands can cause cylinder packing failure. All oils are not equal. Do the test that I described on the loader lifts, if the engine will dog down a bit rolling the bucket out till you release the lever it sounds like the pump is running. Let me know how the heat test goes on the loader lifts, once the system builds a little heat in the hydraulic oil if the valve is held whichever cylinder feed hoses warm up has an internal leak. In my time I have seen piston rod bolts break or completely back out.

kabuti

ok, I tested the hydraulics as per melbens directions & the 'port' lift cylinder lines do heat up significantly after less than 5min. No other lines exhibit this phenomenon.