• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c Steering mystery

raven1989

Hi Tinkerer,
Thanks for the great schematic and advice. I think its time for me to break down and get a test gauge set up. I guess it is possible the valve in the new pump was bad from the get go. Anything is possible. I replaced filters when I replaced the pump, steering cylinders and steering valve just to make sure the new pump did not get gunked up. Without a gauge I dont think I have much of a chance to find this issue. Its too pricey to start buying replacement parts that are already new and I just can't think of anything else in the system that is not new aside from a few hoses. Maybe I have a collapsed hose somewhere. Hoses at steering cylinders are new most of the rest are steel. The mystery continues. Time to get that gauge and use your schematic. Appreciate you taking the time. I'll let you know what I find.

old and slow

Hi y'all.. Thanks for all the input. I forgot to mention if I get the revs up around 2000 I do get some steering (usually) with a load in the bucket. I followed lines and did not see anything weird there. All lines are in correct locations. I was able to use it today and make some wide turns (having independent brakes helps in a pinch) but still stumped. I seriously need to get test equipment so I can check pressures I guess. Its like night and day when it works. When it stops I cannot turn the steering wheel at all. If I am moving and trying sometimes I can slowly get the steering wheel to turn but wheels do not respond. Sure does seem like a pressure issue.
I pulled my steering orbitrol out to put new seals in it. I was lucky that I noticed that there are 2 restricted flow fittings on it. I took them all off, and upon reassemble I notice them. I found them on the schematic and if my memory is right they where the fittings for hoses going to the steer cylinders I have a case 580 D