• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B won’t move in reverse.

Ryan Fisk

Hello all,

Hoping to hear your thoughts on what could be wrong with my 1974 Case 580B.

I just replaced the transaxle on my 580B because of a bad ring and pinion. Before the swap the backhoe would move forward and backward fine, (with the exception of the rear end issues). The ring had some teeth missing so as you can imagine it would constantly grind when the bad teeth came into contact with the pinion. Anyway after I completed the swap, the machine now has low transmission pressure when I go into reverse. It will barley move at all when in reverse. It goes forward fine with good pressure, also has good pressure in neutral. Although it does not seem to have as much pressure in the forward gear as before. I changed the transmission filter and put in Rotella hydraulic/transmission fluid, the fluid level reads perfect. I didn’t touch anything at all on the shuttle shift unit during the swap. All the I can think of is maybe the shims on the transaxle output shift were not measured correctly (not sure if that would even relate).
Please help and let me know you thoughts.

Thanks!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The only thing I can think of is the shims that go between the clutch packs and the input shaft for transaxle is too loose.

franklin2

My 480c has a short driveshaft between the shuttle and the transaxle. If yours is like that too, I wonder if taking that out would help with troubleshooting? See if it moves backward with the shaft out? See how hard the transaxle is to to turn by hand backwards?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Think that would have any affect on the pressure? Or are the shims just there to prevent movement?
The shins are there to take up space between the clutch pack housing to keep in place.
Another question is which brand of shuttle do you have in your machine. There are two mfg of shuttle one Is a rockford the other is twin disc.

Ryan Fisk

The shins are there to take up space between the clutch pack housing to keep in place.
Another question is which brand of shuttle do you have in your machine. There are two mfg of shuttle one Is a rockford the other is twin disc.

That is a good point, I’ll pop off the cover and maybe I’ll even be able to see it move. I’m not sure which one I have any easy ways to tell them apart?

Ryan Fisk

My 480c has a short driveshaft between the shuttle and the transaxle. If yours is like that too, I wonder if taking that out would help with troubleshooting? See if it moves backward with the shaft out? See how hard the transaxle is to to turn by hand backwards?

No mine directly bolts to the transaxle.