• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Wiring Harness Rebuild

ABnC

I'm fed up with cracked insulation, busted connectors and broken wire gremlins.
I'm going to rewire!

Ah ... by any chance ... does anybody have a picture of their wiring harness rebuild?
(Either mapped out on a 4x8 sheet or maybe a peg board.)
* OR would someone care to make a diagram for a 4x8 sheet and post it for all?

I know its cheating to include all this discussion in one topic but alternator output (welding) requirements, wire size upgrade suggestions, gauge replacement / improvement options and LED lighting advice would also be welcome.
I'd also like to ad a few creature comforts like a fan, Marine CB radio and maybe Marine AM/FM/Weather radio too.

I just bought a soldering kit and im not afraid to use it.

Thanks in advance to all that reply

Last edited:

Grady

The old CK's didn't have much of a wire harness. I'd just get an automotive type fuse box like this:
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-12...=8-2-spons&keywords=fuse+box+automotive&psc=1
and a roll of 12 wire. 14 is probably good enough for lights but 12 is tough enough to last. Some say 10 gauge for the starting circuit but I think I used 12 for mine. It was a long time ago.
Get some split wire loom - the good stuff, not the cheap crap that melts in the sun. If you buy a 50 foot roll it's not too bad. You can run the wires and then roll the cover onto them and still be able to add additional wires if there's still room. I bought a couple sizes.
I just used crimp on terminals but you can solder if you want.
If you use a little of that silicone grease [dielectric] on every terminal connection, they won't corrode.
LED lights make sense as you'll get more light per watt - less strain on the system.

Grady

That diagram looks as much like my C as my CK but maybe because my CK is a gas job and the C is diesel. My CK came with a generator instead of an alternator, doesn't have the start button or circuit breaker for the starter like the C does - just a key. It has no manifold heater, solenoid, or cable, and no conv. or hydro temp sensors - just an engine coolant temp sensor and oil pressure sender. My CK does have a wiper motor for the windshield and lights on the back for the hoe. You can use 14 or 16 gauge wire for dash lights and other light duty applications like sending units.

Cbait580b

I'll be watching this thread.. Since I got mine running(trans and ring gear still broke) I'll be tackling the wiring on mine. The repair manual has a diagram with colors and circuits just enough for a knowledgeable tech to fix.. redoing PO's

ABnC

The old CK's didn't have much of a wire harness. I'd just get an automotive type fuse box like this:
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-12...=8-2-spons&keywords=fuse+box+automotive&psc=1
and a roll of 12 wire. 14 is probably good enough for lights but 12 is tough enough to last. Some say 10 gauge for the starting circuit but I think I used 12 for mine.

This is why HEF is unmatched!

Thanks Grady.
The extra protection provided by the 'marine' specs will help it live a lot longer and i'll upgrade the starting circuit wire too.
(I installed a push button starter switch last month but its already rusted so im going to use more MARINE grade and stainless steel.)

Sir, I appreciate your contribution to my little projects.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Grady

This is why HEF is unmatched!

Thanks Grady.
The extra protection provided by the 'marine' specs will help it live a lot longer and i'll upgrade the starting circuit wire too.
(I installed a push button starter switch last month but its already rusted so im going to use more MARINE grade and stainless steel.)

Sir, I appreciate your contribution to my little projects.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

It says "MARINE" but it isn't waterproof so if you don't have a cab you may want to do something to keep the water out. It's a pretty good box for the money.

Happy Holidays to you as well. Glad to be able to help.