• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B weak in foward and reverse

truviking

:Banghead:Banghead:BangheadI just bought a Case 580B CK backhoe and it has hardly and power in the transmission. I am new to heavy equipment but I know the basics. The machine has a hard time climbing the slightest hill or when pushing into a pile it struggles. The motor doesn't bog down ,it just keep running at the same rpm(maybe a tad bit faster) The trans oil pressure gauuge reads in the green when in gear and clutch is released. When depressed it drops in the red or zero. I Just changed the filter in front of the radiator(torque convertor filter?) and my oil levels are ok. The oil does not appear to be comtaminated. What other thing should I check and or replace? I am also having some brake issuses but I do not believe it is having any effect on the sluggish power. Any suggestions on what else may be causing this?

bigskyelliott

no reply's. im to having same problem. the strange thing is it worked good until i changed the trans fluid. let me know what you find

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Here's an answer Truviking, a little late, but it's here.

It's possible your CK is slipping in the clutch packs but more likely you are discovering that these machines are not as efficient as the newer C or D models. With you machine warmed up(drive it around a little), try loading dirt with the front bucket. Rev the engine up, at some point one of the rear tires should spin, even on dry ground. Make sure that you are actually in first gear(to the left and forward) and that a brake is not dragging(shift into neutral on a slight grade and see if she rolls).

A 'B' is a dog when cold( especially in winter), so don't evaluate it until warm. The engine won't usually bog down and any significant grade usually has to be climbed in 1st gear with the engine 'flogged' in some cases.

Probably a good idea to change your shuttle oil(2 drain points), check for any metal in oil at the same time. Phil:)

Last edited:

MasterSplinter

Occupation
Delivery guy
I just bought a 580b today... it barely moves back and forth. I found that the transmission filter was plugged to the hilt with some black shavings of what appear to be plastic. Could this be a bad hydraulic line falling apart on the inside? The material burns and melts like plastic or rubber... so maybe it's not part of a clutch?

I have pictures, but I dont think it this allows me to put them on as I am new.

Dustin

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Dustin, welcome to the forum:drinkup.
I don't know of any black plastic material in your system. You didn't say if your machine moves now or not. The Case service manual does make reference to a plugged filter as a possible cause for problems. I think I would check the shuttle oil by draining a little out of the 2 drain plugs, and see what is laying in the bottom. One plug is directly below the shuttle oil level dipstick, on the bottom of the torque tube. The other plug is at the front end of the torque tube, more or less under where the torque converter is located. The shuttle dipstick is located on the right rear portion of the cover, located just in front of the gearshift cover.

You might have debris in the valve section now, if the filter bypass has let it by. The shuttle pump pick-up screen may be plugged with whatever this material is, depending on where it came from(a common problem). My thoughts are that the oil cooler hoses are a possible source and I would replace them both. I'm not sure if the oil is filtered first before it goes through the cooler, or vice-versa, I'll have to check the manual. You can use a single wire hydraulic hose when getting new ones made up and pay particular attention to the hose length as this is a tight area to work in(front of rad). Do you have a working dash gauge(clutch pressure)? Phil:)

Last edited:

MasterSplinter

Occupation
Delivery guy
Wow Phil, You sure know you're 580b's! A week ago I had no idea what one was... I will be out at the land today to check over all of these things. I am having a hard time locating all the correct filters without ordering them.

The machine is missing the backhoe, so I'll just call it a loader for now. When I went to look at it, the steering didn't work at all (it works now after adding 2 quarts of power steering fluid). The machine wouldn't move unless you warmed it up for a half hour. Then it slowly moved backwards and forwards... but just enough to get it to the trailer. We had to push it on with a big tractor instead. I bought a manual off of ebay for this, and spent half a day printing it and getting it into a 6 inch binder. It's been a life saver, but wow there is a lot to learn!

Now I just have to find out where that shuttle pump pick-up screen is and how to clean it up.

The transmission fluid is nice and clear, and right up to the top mark on the dipstick.

I could probably change it, but I hear it takes about 10 gallons to fill back up. Ouch.

Dustin

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum MasterSplinter. :usa

Phil knows the B better than anyone here. You'll usually catch him here early in morning and late evenings. After 9 PM, forget it. He gets up early and kicks the rooster awake. :D

You didn't answer his question, do you have a working clutch pressure gauge on the dash? Got to post all the info you can think of, then when Phil logs on, he can noodle through it. ;)

Oh, BTW, you need to make your 3rd post so you'll become a Junior Member. Then you can post a pic of your B.

Last edited:

MasterSplinter

Occupation
Delivery guy
Hey thanks guys... Lots of nice people on here it sounds like. I'll be needin your help!

After changing "all" the fluids, I for Phils message about the shuttle dipstick and where it was located.... I looked and thought "this guy is nuts, there is nothing there"... I looked around for a good hour, then decided to start cleaning inside of the cab. Under 3 or 4 inches of packed down mud and dirt and oil and grease, there lies an orange dipstick for the shuttle. I put 4 gallons in and that seamed to put it up to the line. I fired it up and instantly it drove. It had more power too I think! Not sure how much it's suppose to hold... I have the 660 page manual for it, but I didnt see that fluid level yet.

And to think... all I paid for this thing was 1000 bucks, and its only got 3~k hours on it.

MasterSplinter

Occupation
Delivery guy
I still get these: