• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B transmission question

Archie Dunbar

Hello All,

I think that I have the shuttle model. It has a lever on the left side of the steering column for forward, neutral and reverse. It has dip sticks in front of the seat and between the clutch pedals and brake pedals for the transmission and torque tube. The previous owner told me that he put universal tractor fluid in both. I have done the same. it seems to work fine but I just noticed that the manual lists a 90 weight and 80 weight fluid. What do others use?

Archie Dunbar

Thanks, I have the manual. What I do not have is an operating manual. So I do not know for sure how everything works. Trying to decide if there is a downside to draining the hydraulic fluid out of the transmission and putting in gear oil? I am guessing that my tractor is the shuttle without dual range. Some people on this forum mention using hydraulic fluid in the transmission. The 580c uses Case TCH for everything.

Tinkerer

It is not a good thing to put an entirely different type oil in anything contrary to what the manufacturer specifies.
Pay no attention to what other people do if it is not mfr. recommended.
As you know, the 580C is an entirely different machine with its own lubricant requirements.
The last line in the manual page I posted clearly states what oil is required for the transmission & differential.
I am not sure what specific unit you are referring to when you mention transmission.
The 4 speed ??
The transmission and power shuttle are two entirely different units in your B.

Delmer

Hytran is the modern TCH, and it's used in newer gear transmissions and rear ends so they figure it will work fine in everything.

I figure the reverser is the critical one, get the right fluid in there, and keep any oil to the right level in the transmission and it will probably be fine for longer than you and I will be.