1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Case 580B Torque Converter Control Valve

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by kjones95206, Oct 11, 2021.

1. kjones95206

kjones95206 Member

The torque converter control valve on my Case 580B does not reduce the torque converter pressure sufficiently to shift gears without grinding.
    Once in gear, the tractor moves forward and reverse beautifully with about 140 lbs. hydraulic pressure. I have adjusted the cam control to the extent that the valve rod bottoms out in the valve. The pressure remains at 10 psi with the rod completely in the housing. If I move the forward/reverse lever out of the neutral position while depressing the clutch pedal (rod bottomed out in the valve), the pressure drops to zero and the gears can be shifted without grinding.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

big truck wrench/fixer of things
    I'm no expert on these valves but, my neighbor just bought a CK and was having some issues with low pressure in reverse, so I was doing some research..To my understanding that spool controls pressure to the FNR spool .It's just a spool without a spring behind it, so if it's bottomed out it's not in the position it should be and is probably diverting your fluid and not totally interrupting the flow so you can shift...Search Everyday Projects channel circa 2-25-21 and GRT Ranch Adventures on You Tube for a better understanding of how that valve/ spools actually function, the GRT Adventures covers a bunch of stuff on his 580B, it may be helpful...good luck...Stinky

Tinkerer likes this.
  3. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

That is an awesome video that you found, Stinky.
    I was surprised that he has not drilled the transmission case to get access to the screen on the pick-up tube.
    Everyday Adventures has a video on YouTube that describe repairing the control valve.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

Apparently he hasn't been turned onto this forum yet:rolleyes:, the other channel with the other very informative valve rebuild is Everyday Projects, that guy has flow charts and everything.. I looked up the everyday adventures channel to maybe score more info and something tells me that guy isn't a backhoe enthusiast...

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I think it is amazing that people like those two and many others take the time to create and post those videos on YouTube.

6. stinky64

stinky64 Senior Member

Tinkerer, you and your NASA hard drive do almost the same thing on a daily basis and while you are a keeper of knowledge, they are VLOGers of knowledge...