• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Shuttle Rebuild Kit

I recently acquired a 1976 Case 580B. I believe it is equipped with a 188D.

I've been trying to find a shuttle rebuild kit for the 580B. I have been unable to locate such.

I'm only finding kits for the 580C and later models. So, would a 580C kit work? Was the 580B kit phased out, possibly being replaced by a later model kit?

Thanks.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @Joseph Yarbrough
A 580C shuttle kit definitely will not work.
580B shuttle kits (there were a few different ones that you needed to carry out a rebuild - seal,bearing,valve) are mostly obsolete & you will need to purchase individual items from your friendly Case CNH dealer

Glen Weldon

Well, not only all of the above, BUT, the tractor came with TWO different shuttles. You need to know which one you have before you order parts. To the best of my knowledge you have to take off the shuttle-shift valve and cover to actually see. That's why I haven't done mine yet.

Are you absolutely sure you need to rebuild? I'm sure you have read all of the threads on this forum about pickup screen blockage and debris...right?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
What is the backhoe doing, is it weak in pulling in one direction only or in both directions? Have you checked oil level for shuttle? There are two different power shuttle assemblies for the 580b machines, Rockford and Twin Disc. The Rockford is a lot easier to rebuild than the Twin Disc, the easiest way to tell which you have is by pulling the top cover ( where shuttle dipstick is) and looking at clutch assembly. The Twin Disc will have a dump valve in the piston housing, all it is is a piston and spring assembly with a rollpin to hold it in. The Rockford will not have these and will have a narrower piston housing. Another question is how many gear levers do you have coming up through your floor plate?

alrman

Occupation
All I know on the subject is that some 580B's have an R or a T stamped to the far right of the machine serial #. This serial# is attached to the steering column on the right side. This letter usually it indicates which shuttle you have, but they do get changed. Only way to know for sure is to remove the shuttle cover and look. Phil:)

Here's a quote from the HEF 580B expert - we miss Phil......

BTW, the pickup screen was totally blocked. I did find the forward needle bearing pins in the bottom of the case as well. I removed them and have a new needle bearing to install.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how (or which tool to use), to remove the retaining rings [circled in yellow] to replace the first bearing? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2019-11-08 12.52.03-1.jpg
    2019-11-08 12.52.03-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78

alrman

Occupation
You use your fingers Joseph ;)
But it helps if you use a length of 3 or 4mm electrical wire to push against the hook ring to depress it into the groove a little further than out fat fingers can allow.:rolleyes: