• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B no fwd or rev

maine

Hey All,
Great Advice Great forum! 82 Case 580B diesel. Parked last November no issues. Now starts right up, but no transmission pressure. No fwd or rev. Changed out all tran fluids no change. Front filter not getting anything thru. Noticed 2 lines that go thru the radiator, could the radiator be the issue? More pics if needed.
uuu_155158.jpg

maine

Quick update after much more searching and the manual. The Shuttle Converter Control valve (pic) appears to be the issue. Appears this unit draws from the reservoir and comes up from underneath. Service manual "Oil flows from the pump throught the adapter cover, adapter plate and out of the control valve through a tube and hose to the filter". Going to see were I can pick up the gasket and seals needed to pull this off and redo. If anyone has a diffent approach or thought please jump in.

jamby

Maine

I've got mine on a table in the garage right now. I had to pull the steering column back and much more, but that is because mine stopped moving while running. It's a bolt on the pump on the bottom of the large plate the parts in your picture is setting on. It fell out and feed thru the gear on the pump breaking off 8 teeth.
You can get the Shuttle Converter Control valve (small block on the far side). If its the part I am thinking of it is held in place by 2 bolts and a couple of sharp raps with a hammer should get it loose.
But if you are not getting any oil pumping thru the pump the problems maybe much larger. See (search shuttle) many threads in this forum.

Good luck
Jim

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
I don't think it's the dump valve, that's downstream. Unlikely a completely plugged pump intake screen. Might be a sheared pump key. Not fun getting the adaptor plate off without splitting the tractor, or removing the fuel tank, but it will come out of there once the pump intake pipe is unbolted. Frank

maine

Thanks for the replies. Quick update on this. After taking off the Shuttle Convertor Control valve (pic in 1st post) I’m not getting anything coming up from the pump (pic below, hole just left of the cooler tube). Talked to a case mechanic and he asked if I had any water in the system when I drained it (which I did), asked if started in winter (which I did and when I noticed no movement). He’s thinking it’s the ‘charge pump’ and may have gotten cracked….argh
This sounds reasonable, but I have never seen inside a split tractor (which he says they would need to do). To see if that’s the issue and replace if needed.
So the dilemma..... 4000 pound paper weight or have them repair it? Overall great shape. I’ll post pics later if that helps. The round trip carrier transport and work to be done will be over a couple grand.

controler.jpg

Snuffy

In the for what it's worth department...I had similar issue several years ago on my old 555 Ford. Now this old hoe ain't nothing to look at....has no lights....no gauges (except the manual gauges I installed) but works like a champ here on the farm. Went out to use it one day and would not move. Turns out it was the flex plate in the transmission. But I had the same delima......paper weight or repair at a huge cost.
Anyway, I ended up splitting it my self and doing the repairs. Took several weeks but talk about satisfaction of doing the job....I felt like I could do anything! And 95% of the time, I do better work than I can pay to get done. Since then I've done all my own work.
And I'm no mechanic either...computer programmer by trade.

jamby

I didn't need to split my machine to get to the pump under the cover in you photo. I spread the frame with a jack and remove the spacer tube above the fuel tank. After removing all the upper sheet metal. Took the fuel tank off, disconnected all the hydraulic lines, pulled the steering column back, and lifted the cover plate, pump and suction tube up and out. (mine had a broken gear where the mounting bolt fell out and went thru the gears). But other issues forced me to split it. So I had to put the fuel tank back on and start the motor to get the hoe off the rear. A neighbor has a old logging mill boom truck that drug the hoe far enough back I could get in to work around the axle/trans/shuttle. Took the operators cage, and steering column off and with jacks under the frame, rolled the trans back with a floor jack on a piece of plywood and that gave me access to the twin clutch assy. Oh yeah, the steering column required disconnecting all the electrics (really not the much, loom under the tank and the rear lights. Jim

Should mention that the 1-1/2 inch nut and bolts holding the cab and subframe bars on had to be removed with a 1" impact hammer at 150 psi. Not mine a mechanic that had them on his service truck.

Last edited:

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
You are not far away from taking that plate off. The bolt holding the right front corner of the steering column has a sleeve on it. I had to cut mine and repair it later. That suction pipe has a bend in it I think, remember which way it goes if you unbolt it. Frank