• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super M planetary disassembly

GManBart

Occupation
Work for the Citizens of the U.S.!
The right front axle started leaking a little bit (very little) recently, so I pulled it all apart so I could replace the balljoint, kingpin, and seals. I noticed there's a bit of play between the swivel housing and the inner half of the planetary hub that shouldn't be there (when I did the same repair on the left side there was zero play).

So, I need to separate the planetary hub from the swivel housing, and thought I'd see if there were any tips or things to be aware of before I get started. As best I can tell there's only an inner bearing, seal, and outer bearing. Am I missing anything? Here's what I'm looking at:

Hub.jpgHub2.jpg

sheepfoot

It's a little easier with it still mounted to the axle. The seal and inner bearing may stay on the inner hub once the housing comes off or may come off with the housing. I have a large puller that makes it easier. A porta power/ bottle jack in the center and some chain will also pull the hub off. I have seen them almost slide off by hand and seen them be real tight. Seal and bearings are pretty pricey, do the inner seals and bushing/bearing while your there also.

GManBart

Occupation
Work for the Citizens of the U.S.!
It's a little easier with it still mounted to the axle. The seal and inner bearing may stay on the inner hub once the housing comes off or may come off with the housing. I have a large puller that makes it easier. A porta power/ bottle jack in the center and some chain will also pull the hub off. I have seen them almost slide off by hand and seen them be real tight. Seal and bearings are pretty pricey, do the inner seals and bushing/bearing while your there also.

That makes sense...thanks. I'm definitely doing all the seals and bearings as well as new kingpin and balljoint...might as well.

We have a pretty good puller selection at work, so I'm going to see if there's anything that will fit. If not, I'll try the chain/jack technique. What about reinstalling the bearings...any tips on that?

joe--h

Good day to all!!
I am a recent member and was wondering how to start a new post pertaining to a 2007 case 580sm

Hope someone is able to help

Ryan
upload_2022-12-2_13-33-5.pngupload_2022-12-2_13-33-5.png

Go back to the forum page and it's just to the right up above, blue box sez post new thread.