• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super L hydraulic issue

Rooster87

Hey 63 caveman! I’m about 30 miles from you in a little town called Rimersburg. How would I know if the relief valve is bad? And I didn’t even know about a suction screen haha where is it located? The belt has a lot of tension and actually it felt like to much tension.

My grandpa has had 16 case backhoes from the 580ck to the 580 super N and as far as I can remember they have been all 4 stick case controls haha I don’t even know how to run a 2 stick. Although our super N is pilot controls and I still prefer the case controls haha

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
There is no suction screen on the rear axle as it doesn't have a pump ......... :rolleyes:

alrman

Occupation
I don't believe there is, well not one that is serviceable anyways........

63 caveman

There is no suction screen on the rear axle as it doesn't have a pump ......... :rolleyes:

I could be very wrong but I was thinking this hoe has a transaxle (transmission and rear axle share the same housing) and has a suction screen on front, lower, left housing behind 90 degree fitting?

I'm sorry if out in left field!

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I inquired to get one once before changing fluid and the dealer told me they had never sold one. I pulled it out and took a look at it and it was as clean as the day it had been installed with 6,000 hrs on the machine. But my oil had never been contaminated.
I think it was where Caveman says.

alrman

Occupation
@63 caveman & @Billrog you are both thinking of the Phase 3 transaxle only found in 590 / 580K/SK hoes.
This thread is about a 580SL - a completely different driveline configuration. ;)

Last edited:

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I'm definitely going to take your word for it Alrman because I can't remember which of my backhoes it was . Your definitely my go to man if I have a problem. Thinking about it mine must have been an SK.

Rooster87

Everything seems to be working great.. I’m still going to add the additive like alrman suggested but as far as sticking or screeching all is smooth. Still working on the erratic swing issue but seems to be working itself out after putting that Lucas hydraulic booster in. Thank you everyone for the help on this machine

Rooster87

Weak hydraulics when first started stalls the engine? How and where to install pressure gauge to check relief valve? Might even just put a permanent gauge on for the filter .. is that a good idea or not? If I see a pressure drop across the filter I know it needs changed??

alrman

Occupation
Weak hydraulics wouldn't usually be able to stall an engine? You may need to explain what's happening here in a little more detail.

There should be a QR test port (Parker) for the hydraulics located behind the chassis behind the LH front wheel - accessed from under the machine.

I wouldn't bother installing a gauge at the filter - just service it when it's due.
There should be a warning light on the dash to say it is bypassing due to restriction.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
My 580SL will stall the engine at idle/low rpm's if a cylinder is bottomed out especially when cold. Rev it up a little and all is good, I just thought this was normal. Yes/No??

Rooster87

Alrman I wondered what that port was for. So before I unload the hoe off the trailer I usually just reach back pull the boom up and latch. Well the last few times it has stalled. I never turn the rpms up when I do it so I’m not sure what changed. Hydraulic oil is thicker this time of year maybe? ‍♂️But then again if you think it’s engine related? No idea but fires right up in this cold weather with no starting fluid, give a little throttle hit the key BOOM. I originally thought the valves needed adjusted because It sounds like marbles rattling around when sitting in the cab but don’t hear it with the hood open. The tensioner pulley squeaks and the exhaust is a bit loose so I think that’s what I’m hearing. So now you know as much as I do haha
Highway ghost maybe it is normal.. our other super L, super M and Super N with the same idle rpm pull up fine. Maybe it’s no big deal

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There are two parker fittings in that location, be sure to check pressure at the one "T'd" in the outlet hose of the pump. The one that is at the end of the small hose acts as a accumulator for the hyd. pump.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
alrman, I worked for many years as a case mechanic and my experience yells me that Hytran will provide what is needeto extend packing life in the cylinders. A competitors oil causede packing to swell so tite we had to use the winch on the rollback to pull the piston out of the barrel. The hytran oil in the rear axle and the proper Case additive should quiet the brakes down if damage has not already been done

alrman

Occupation
@melben Nice to hear from you ol' timer! ;)
I'm a strong believer in using Hy Trans in axles & transmissions.

I must say though, I have, as I'm sure you have also, resealed hundreds of cylinders on Case machinery varying from near new to +50yrs old - most of which would be using common ISO 68 hydraulic oil & quite a few had even a good percentage of H2O mixed in with it & haven't had problems with pulling the rod/piston assemblies as you describe - unless there was some problem with either rusted or dented cylinder tubes.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
alrman, we had an off brand oil company distributor in our area that sold a product known as Drydene. It was that oil in particular that caused the packing to swell to the extent described,The cylinders actually squealed when lifting the affected function and the rod was impossible to pull out by hand on disassembly. I know it sounds extreme but that was our experience. I was quite firm with the customers about using that product, warning them of future problems. One day a Drydene rep stopped in to see me and threatened me with a lawsuit for blaming his product for cylinder seizure. The oil was a common denominator across our customer base for this problem, I was never served with papers.