• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 smoking from places

Don.S

Today at work the yard backhoe was idling away in the yard while we had our coffees. The boss looked over at the machine and joked that it was burning down with all the smoke coming from it that he figured was steam from snow melting off it. I realized it was not steam and ran over shut it down and flipped the negative cut off switch. When we opened the hood we could see all the smoke was from the starter and the fuel shut down solinoid.
After checking a few things we turned the power back on and turned the key to run with no smoke from anything. We started the machine but had to hold the fuel shut down to run position since the solinoid was destroyed. No smoke and charging voltage was good.
Any ideas what could be going on?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That's scary stuff!
I would be taking a good look at wiring harness & battery cables where they come in contact with the engine bellhousing.
Possibly insulation has worn away & it shorted out....??
Really weird about the starter smoking, as it should not have an power activated while the engine was running.

Don.S

I was wondering if maybe the shut down was a pull in and a hold in coil or something like that? And the pull in is activated by something in the starter that happened to stick?
I have no clue tho.

StanRUS

Check Circuit Breaker mounted to the cyl block bit in front of the starter right side of engine.

Don.S

I will have to get back to you later about the circuit breaker since I am not at work right now.
No smell or signs of mice or anything like that.
I just dont understand why only the fuel shut down and the started were smoking. What do they have in common? Does anyone have a wiring diagram I could have please?

Bluox

I will have to get back to you later about the circuit breaker since I am not at work right now.
No smell or signs of mice or anything like that.
I just dont understand why only the fuel shut down and the started were smoking. What do they have in common? Does anyone have a wiring diagram I could have please?
The pull in wire on the fuel shut off comes from the starter so if the starter sticks on it burns up the shut off.
I would check the starter .
Bob

ETER

Had to replace the main machine harness on a CX 130 this summer for the same reason... ended up being the ignition switch sticking in the crank position.
The pull and hold coils in the fuel shut off solenoid naturally have less current while cranking than while running...the pull coil cannot tolerate the higher voltage /current very long while running.
At any rate, the ignition switch is an easy thing to check and or replace.
Regards Bob

Don.S

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you guys. So I was able to find a wiring diagram and the only thing the starter and the fuel shut down have in common are the key switch. I was not able to get the key switch to stick again but I know that must be what happened so I put a big red light on the dash that if the ignition sticks the light comes on and says to shut down.
Once I finished messing about with all this I found out that the day before one of the guys broke a key off in the ignition and got the broken part out with a knife. I blew some air in the ignition and some dirt or something came out and now it turns much better.
As of now that has solved the problem.