• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 SM series 2 hard starting

Asphalt/Dirtman

We bought a 2004 Case SM series 2 backhoe and god love it, it is a hard starting girl below 50 degrees. Has 3,300 hours and starts like its got 10,000 hours.

I have hear this is not the first Case to be hard starting in cold weather. but man.....:mad:

It has the dual batteries and no grid heater are the specs.

Any body else have this problem?

kb9nvh

My 580 super L with 3.3K hours starts pretty easily at 25F an up. Having only one battery turns it slow so I got a battery blanket but it did start even with the cold battery.
Also, I found my fuel pump to be bad this winter on my first attempt to start it in the cold. It pumped well enough in the hot summer but in the cold the pump coulnd't hang. 150 bucks later its all good again. I think you have some issue? Is this a new machine to you?

Asphalt/Dirtman

Well figured out one of the Batteries was bad and arcing out on the box. Turns over much faster which helps it start. Still chuggs and takes some cranking to get it to finally take off.
New to us. Dealer came out finally after 2 months of complaining, scoped it out, switched batteries. Fires much better. Still not perfect but not like it was.