• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 SL SM Front Axle King Pins

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Just thought I would share this picture.

This is what happens if you neglect greasing your front axle king pins.
This is a bit of a design weakness of the 580 SK SL SM SR range of backhoes, with the Carraro front axle.
Even with greasing, this bearing cup will eventually wear, & then they break up usually damaging the housing.
Regular greasing is the only way to prolong their life.

However if the problem is noticed early & serviced with new parts BEFORE they fail, they are not overly expensive to repair.

This is what I faced yesterday (new part in worn hole)..... on both sides of the machine. (this is the "better"side.......)

** SERVICE TIP ** - Keep your king pins greased!

...... I'm too old for this......

580sm King Pin Bearing.png

Last edited:

JL Sargent

Wow, I did grease mine just the other day thank goodness. Wonder how many greaseless hours that took?

AU.CASE

Occupation
Grazier // Rancher remote NSW
Crikey alrman; The pins in our "SK" have some movement and I have grease pouring out of the gap between the planetary housing and the axle.

Think I might turf them next time I am getting some parts in.

Cheers and thanks.

alrman

Occupation
Wow, I did grease mine just the other day thank goodness. Wonder how many greaseless hours that took?

I dread to think..... however I do recall mentioning that they were in need of attention about 10 months ago.......

Do you have a few more pics?
Is what you have in the picture the lower thrust bearing?
Mike

Yes, that is the lower bearing, my head is on the ground, taking this pic.
I do have only the finished repair pic, using the term "repair" loosely...... you tell the client the axle needs to be removed & stripped & then visit a machine shop or I can do an "on-site" weld & grind & they always choose the "no warranty" cheaper option........

Crikey alrman; The pins in our "SK" have some movement and I have grease pouring out of the gap between the planetary housing and the axle.

Think I might turf them next time I am getting some parts in.

Cheers and thanks.

Just a little "heads up" - as these are a real issue as these machines are getting older......

alrman

Occupation
I recently did another repair on one of these failed king pin bearings.
It was an extremely damaged axle housing on a CASE 590SL where the front wheel trunion actually separated from the main axle housing.
In the 'old days' when these machines were newer & being used by contractors, I would never have considered a welding repair for a failure as bad as this one - another axle housing would have been sourced either new or used.
However, this was off a property machine, never to be driven on a road & only being used for a few hours a month. The owner had only just purchased it & had no funds available for an axle swap over.
He had seen my website pictures of the above repair & pleaded with me to carry out a repair as best I could.....
Just showing how bad these axle housings can be & still be reclaimed with some time & patience. :rolleyes:

590SL king pin bearing failure.jpg
590SL king pin bearing failure2.jpg
590SL king pin bearing failure3.jpg

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I recently did another repair on one of these failed king pin bearings.
It was an extremely damaged axle housing on a CASE 590SL where the front wheel trunion actually separated from the main axle housing.
In the 'old days' when these machines were newer & being used by contractors, I would never have considered a welding repair for a failure as bad as this one - another axle housing would have been sourced either new or used.
However, this was off a property machine, never to be driven on a road & only being used for a few hours a month. The owner had only just purchased it & had no funds available for an axle swap over.
He had seen my website pictures of the above repair & pleaded with me to carry out a repair as best I could.....
Just showing how bad these axle housings can be & still be reclaimed with some time & patience. :rolleyes:

View attachment 252472
View attachment 252474
View attachment 252475
Good job on repairing that