• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 SE Coolant problem

Equipmentguy224

If I look into the radiator on my 580 backhoe, the coolant is all the way to the top (when engine is cold). Sometimes it also spews it out.
If I look into the reservoir its below the add mark. Any ideas on what may be causing this? The OM only tells me what to do when the radiator is low and the reservoir is full.
Thanks!

Delmer

Where does it spew out? If you have a reservoir, then most systems (w/ reservoir) are designed to be full to the very top. When it heats up the cap regulates the pressure by releasing coolant to the reservoir. When it cools, it sucks coolant right back in to the top.

Do you know what the engine temp is when it spews? Does it overflow the reservoir?

If you have even a small amount in the reservoir, and the radiator stays full, there's no problem. If it still spews, it could be a head gasket leak, etc.

Equipmentguy224

It spews out the radiator cap if I slowly open it – even when the engine is cold. And yes, there is a bit of coolant in the reservoir, its just an inch or maybe three below the "add" mark. Could the hose that goes from the rad to the res be plugged?

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Does the coolant stay an " or 3 below the add mark all the time if you don't add any if so no problem. If there's a little pressure in the system after it been setting and cold not likely you have any leaks. The happy place on mine has be a few "s down for a no. of yrs. now.

Equipmentguy224

I just bought the machine recently so I don't actually know if it stays there. Kinda thinking the hose from the rad to res might be plugged. Can I remove it from the rad, and blow some compressed air through it without coolant spilling everywhere?

Delmer

It spews out the radiator cap if I slowly open it – even when the engine is cold.

Don't do that. It will spill because it is full, there is no air. Check the radiator cap occasionally, but if the cap is working right (meaning it's full and spills when you open the cap) then you can check the level in the reservoir. If it goes empty, add some more.

That's working correctly, don't blow anything out. The head gasket or something could be leaking, but that's a separate problem. If you don't know when the coolant has been changed, you could drain it, flush and refill at some point, probably after you've worked the bugs out.

Delmer

Cat ELC, Peak Fleet Charge Global, or the SCA precharged antifreeze of your choice. Either premixed, or mixed with distilled water. I use rainwater for flushing, fewer minerals and mildly acidic for scale.