• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 580 L SERIES 2 transmisín filter

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
I'm changing the transmisín fluid and spin on filter on this Case 580 l series 2 , 2 wheel drive with Carrera transmissîon. Forgive my spelling. Is there a secret to getting the filter off? It's in a most inaccessible spot. Do I need to hold my tongue a certain way. Any suggestions welcome:)

redranch

I have a SM same thing, it can be done. I did it from the top, not fun.

JL Sargent

On my John Deere it takes a strap wrench to get it off.
61aTiquuroL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

JL Sargent

It recommends to not INSTALL the filter with a strap wrench. I would never do that. OP was asking how to get it off.

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
Thank you for the tips. Once I realized I could access the filter by lifting the hood and pulling aside the rubber "wall", it was a walk in the park. This forum and it's members have been a lifesaver.

Tinkerer

It recommends to not INSTALL the filter with a strap wrench. I would never do that. OP was asking how to get it off.
Very true and I agree. My post and image was not directed at you.
We need to keep in mind there are new members reading what we post and may not how to correctly use a strap wrench.
When I ran a service truck there were too many times I had to drive a big a## screwdrive all the way thru a filter to get it off because some unknowing gorrila over tightened it.
That would be after the filter can had collapsed from using my strap wrench.
Incidentally, Caterpillar branded woven fabric strap wrenches are far superior to any others that used.

JL Sargent

Caterpillar branded woven fabric strap wrenches are far superior to any others that used.
Yes, I have a Snap On one that is woven fabric. In the old days, I also would drive a screwdriver through the filter. I was also pretty good at driving a pour spout down on an oil can. :)