• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 E cummins 4 390 engine questions HELP!!!!!

cbeeson

Guys, I need help. My Uncle just passed our family shared Case 580E 4wd backhoe down to me. It has the Cummins 4-390 diesel in it. I will explain what happened and maybe you guys can help. It has been sitting a year without cranking. About 3 years ago, it started taking longer to fire up. My uncle always shot (probably too much) ether to get it going. It got to the point about 2 years ago, that it was turning over for 20 or 30 seconds before it would start (after the ether). It also got a good bit weaker. Finally a year ago, it just kept turning over and wouldn't crank. I checked the compression and it had very little. I've saw in some forums that many people are saying these engines are as tough as they come and my question to you is do I need to take it all the way down or do you think it just needs sleeves, pistons, rings on out? Also do you guys think I may have some injection issues with all of the ether? I would love the opinion of someone who has some experience with this cummins.

shopguy

I have a 580E but i have never had the engine down , maybe you got lucky and just got broken rings from ether I have seen that .Check the cyls.top and bottom if they are out of round I dont think they have sleeves if that is right then i would pull it and have it rebored ,and work the fuel sys. Oh by the way. Welcome to the forum,

Goose

How did you check the compression and what pressures did you have?

cbeeson

I was out of town when my neighbor down the road checked it for me. He just told me it had very little. I'll have to ask him.

joeblow

Occupation
Retired
Ether has been keeping mechanics employed for as long as there have been internal combustion engines.Once you start using it you cant stop.You have probably blown the fire rings on the head gasket or broken the top piston rings,When you do rebuild the engine stay away from the ether!