• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580, cummins problem

jazz

I have an 1986 580k backhoe with a none turbo cummins. the problem is when the hoe sits for a while not running it wont start unless you give it full throttle, like the fuel pressure has bled down.But if it only sits for a little while it will start as normal. I need to fix the problem because cold starts are hard on the engine having to start it full throttle! I see no leaks on fuel system. Could it be a solenoid? Thanks for any help Jazz.......

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
It sounds like you have a fuel line leaking,did you check the return line real good.A leak there may not show up,but it will suck enough air while its not running a few days to lose prime.Id look there first.If you have a manual primer hit it a few times before you crank it up,it should start easier.

jazz

case hoe

thanks for the reply, I have not looked over the return line very well, but Its not a few days more like an hour or less. I did try the prime on the manual fuel pump , but that did not help at all.
thanks for your time! Jazz.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
John Demartino has a valid point about the return line. Check it out! as for the the primer pump, It could be bad too.