• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK Series B now moves!

Glen Weldon

I have been reading the threads on this site about the issues with the Shuttle-shift in these tractors. Mine exhibited the classic symptoms... Won't move in forward or reverse or moves sluggishly and has no power. I figured I was in for a tractor split to replace the clutches on the shuttle. Of course, all the easy stuff I had to do first. Drained the torque tube and 4 gallons of ATF comes out. Replaced with TCH equivalent. Seemed to move a bit better, at least I could get it to where I wanted to use the backhoe in first gear. Let it stay in there for 3 weeks, still no power to push.

Last week I gathered the tools to install a 3/4 pipe plug under the pickup screen. Decided to do it today before I changed out the hydraulic fluid again. Drained the tube again, this time it's a lighter color red from the ATF comes out, left in the torque converter from the first fluid change. While changing fluid this time, I notice that one of the previous owners had already installed a pipe plug under the shuttle pickup, however it was only a 1/8 plug and it was about a 1/4 inch from the correct spot, no way I could correct it so I had to drill the bigger plug in that location.

After carefully drilling through with a 59/64 drill, I could inspect the screen. What I saw floored me! It looked like somebody had taken a 1/4 pin punch inside the previous small pipe plug and beat the crap out of the pickup screen, wadding it up in a ball! It appeared really shiny and clean, but very crumpled up. I reached in with my finger and straightened up the screen as well as I could, also checking for holes. I'm pretty sure it was free of holes, but I wouldn't be able to tell for sure unless I pull the cover off the torque tube. I carefully removed all the metal chips from drilling with my finger, which I could get in up to the second knuckle. I was able to move my finger under the pickup tube screen and meticulously pulled out every single chip. I found no other debris. I then tapped the hole and installed the pipe plug. I only had a deep plug; I'll replace it with a hex-head plug next time I have to change the fluid. I have had a converter oil filter sitting around waiting to change so I decided now was the best time. After removing the top cover and loosening the bottom line to drain, I find NO FILTER in the housing. I plop the new filter in and replace the cover and line.

I refilled with 4 gallons of TCH equivalent and started the tractor. Tranny in first gear, I pull the shuttle lever back and the machine doesn't move. Pressure gauge is in the green by maybe a needle's width. I give her some pedal and she starts to move backward. I drove around the yard in first gear reverse, then forward...maybe 70 yards each way. I decided to try to move some dirt. Pedal to the floor (2000 RPM) I ram the bucket in to a pile of loose dirt. The machine stopped forward motion. With full pedal still applied, I curled and lifted the bucket, put the shuttle in reverse and to my amazement, I pulled away from the pile. I have never been able to get a bucket full since I bought this thing. It moved fine with the dirt in the bucket to the place I wanted to dump.

I tried second and she seemed to move well. Tried third and it moved fairly well also. I didn't try fourth, didn't want to push my luck. Then I put it in second and rammed in to the dirt pile again, curling and lifting the bucket after she stopped moving forward. I pulled up a HUGE bucket of dirt and drove to the dumping spot with no issues.

Sooooo... I'm can't really say for sure it's fixed, but I can say that it moves, and moves better than it has since I've owned it which is just about two years, of which it sat around outside with hardly any use. I can say I'm very excited that it moves and I'm going to try to hold out as long as I can before replacing the shuttle clutches. I can't believe some MORON smashed the pickup screen. Obviously they had good intentions but failed miserably in execution! THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THE VARIOUS THREADS REGARDING THE SHUTTLE SHIFT ISSUES! Without the advise and instruction that has been shared, I would still be trying to figure out how to proceed!20181020_131039.jpg