• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

dad2six

There are no internal brakes on that series, the possibilities are the front of the top transmission shaft, a cup plug in the rear of the top shaft if not equipped with the PTO, OR, a missing or damaged plug up under the 4 speed cover. The first 580s to have wet brakes was the Phase 3 Ks.

Turned out to be the cup plug that was missing. Melben called it. I Guess I did not understand what you meant until I saw it in the manual.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Don't neglect the tube that sits up high in the transmission on the driver's side. It should have a plug to close it when you don't have the 3 pt hydraulics. We went over this way back and there are some pictures posted on my thread. It is used for a return line and dumps the hydraulic oil back into the shuttle case on units equipped with the 3pt. Melben was the one who put us onto that plug and sure enough, mine was missing, ground through the gears and bits of the spring clip were scattered in the bottom of the trans and rear gear cases. I found some of the small lube passges had bits sitting in them when I cleaned her out.

dad2six

Yep I did check that and it was plugged.

I worked her hard all day long on Sunday. Built a 5' tall rock wall, then back filled and leveled it. Our new chicken coop area.

Attachments

• IMG_7204.JPG
    IMG_7204.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7213.JPG
    IMG_7213.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7221.JPG
    IMG_7221.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7222.JPG
    IMG_7222.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 25

dad2six

My charging system is not working.
Same voltage at the battery running or not on my multimeter. (I had this issue before the engine rebuild too)
I have neaver had a generator before.
What's the best way for me to troubleshoot it?

Andy01

My charging system is not working.
Same voltage at the battery running or not on my multimeter. (I had this issue before the engine rebuild too)
I have neaver had a generator before.
What's the best way for me to troubleshoot it?
If the tractor sat for awhile with dead or no battery you should try to polarize the generator. My father in-laws late 60's ford tractor wouldn't charge the battery for years. He didn't use it much and always boosted it with another tractor. I installed a new battery and it wouldn't charge. I used a jumper wire from battery to generator to polarize it now it charges fine. I will upload the info I used for it. May want to do some more research fore Case tractor. Apparently if you do it wrong it will fry the generator. This generator wasn't charging so I had nothing to lose. The tach onGENERATOR-page-001.jpg GENERATOR-page-002.jpg GENERATOR-page-003.jpg GENERATOR-page-001.jpg GENERATOR-page-002.jpg GENERATOR-page-003.jpg his tractor is driven from generator. Converting to alternator would lose the tach. Good luck.

dad2six

I tried it and still no charging.
I'm getting 12.5v to the regulator bat terminal. But no voltage at the bat terminal of the generator.

I put a jumper wire from the regulator bat terminal to the bat terminal on the generator and still no charging.

Does that mean my generator is bad?

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
The problem with going to an alternator is the loss of the tach drive. I looked into this before having my generator rebuilt and there is an alternator with tach drive available but I don't know if it is the same. I prefer to keep the original tach, so went with a rebuild and regulator cleanup.

For D26, there is a decent starter/generator section in my manual that I will try to scan and post here. I'm away for another day, so it will be Wednesday at the earliest before I have the manual in front of me again. It should help with troubleshooting and understanding the operation.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
If you work on your generator and the bearings are good replace the brushes and clean up the commentator but do not use emery paper little bits will embed and chew up the new brushes.
When I replaced mine it never effected the tach ?? It was a no. of years ago and i don't remember the details.

dad2six

Thanks guys I will have to work on the charging system another day.

First on the repair list is the brakes.

They have been getting weaker on me and just finally gave out. That led to a scary situation.
I had just went up a hill and dumped a load of dirt. Started backing down stepped on the brake pedal and nothing. Started going backwards fast. I quickly dumped the front bucket down in an attempt to stop but it grabbed and caused me to turn to the right. ......straight towards a 25' drop off. I was able to jump off just before it went over the edge and was not hurt.

After some wrangling I was able to get her back on her wheels. I let it sit for a while and then tried to start it. It turned over just a tiny bit then went thud and stopped. I'm guessing it's hydro locked. My plan is to remove the injectors and insert a small wood dowel (shish kabob stick) down and check for oil. Then slowly crank it over by hand if possible to remove any oil. But that's a little hard on this without a accessible crank nut.

Attachments

• IMG_7289.JPG
    IMG_7289.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7290.JPG
    IMG_7290.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7292.JPG
    IMG_7292.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Andy01

Lucky you were able to bail off it. My 580c has brakes on one wheel as long as I remember to top up the fluid and pump the brake pedal about 30 times. I am on fairly level ground but you never really appreciate having brakes until you really need them and they are not there. When I polarized the generator on my Ford tractor I used a jumper wire from positive terminal on battery to one of the wires directly on the generator. I was guessing which one but it worked. I just brushed it across the connector for a split second while it was running and saw a spark and voltage came up and been good since then. My father in-law used it for years not charging the battery and it was a 5 min fix. Too bad it didn't work for you but with those hills around your place I would get those brakes fixed first.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Count your blessings as that kind of incident often ends badly. If you are going to get into the brakes, you will want to do some research on here and see what those of us with CKs went through. Check out the posts by 68 Case. I learned a lot from his descriptions and pictures. I tried to add some pictures and information on my 580CK Project thread and they might be of some use. I got my new linings and steel balls from Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff and he sent me the rivet tool and rivets that made it easy. Just remember to orient the linings that same as what comes off, so that the holes for the springs line up properly. Don't ask how I know about this...Glad you're safe after that roll.

Hug your kids tonight. You never know when life changes.

dad2six

Yes I was very lucky.
I took out the injectors and probed the cylinders lots of oil in them. Thinking it's from the oil bath air cleaner. Dumping through the intake and into the cylinders. So I took off the intake manifold and found a lot of oil in it and in the intake runners. Got it all cleaned out. I could not get to the bolts to turn the motor over by hand. Resorted to quickly "bumping" the starter with the injectors out to evacuated the fountain of oil out of the cylinders. (I started recording the video after several initial very short bumps of the starter) Once that slowed I probed again and there was still around 1/4" of oil in the cylinders. I poured a little diesel down the injector holes to thin out the oil and spun the engine over and that seemed to get as much as possible out. Put it all back together and she fired right up. Smoked a bit at first then cleared right up.

That was a load off my mind. I got it back into the garage with no brakes.

Last edited:

dad2six

Brakes covered in oil. Seals are bad.
I broke the bearing carrier taking it out. I was really surprised when it broke. I was applying equal amounts of pressure all around it.
I ordered a new aftermarket one off eBay for 175 delivered. Will install new seals. I had two .010 shims and three .005 shims on the left. The .005 shims are rusted beyond use. New ones are 14.00 EA! I have some .015 sheet metal in the garage I'm going to make one shim out of to replace the 3 damaged ones.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.JPG
    IMG_7321.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7322.JPG
    IMG_7322.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7324.JPG
    IMG_7324.JPG
    864.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7327.JPG
    IMG_7327.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

dad2six

The brakes appear to be ok. I cleaned them well. And as per a good suggestion plan to "bake" them in the oven to remove any residual oil.

Attachments

• IMG_7319.JPG
    IMG_7319.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7331.JPG
    IMG_7331.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7332.JPG
    IMG_7332.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7334.JPG
    IMG_7334.JPG