• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK rear differential way overfull why?

1968 Case 580CK

DadTwo6......I watched the video.......Great rock placement. Since you were holding the camera, I imagine that LaFonda was operating solo, on cruise-control. I was waiting for the 5:00 whistle to blow, and then a change in the camera angle and then you see Fred Flintstone saying "Yadda Dabbba Dooooooo!" and he goes sliding off the dinasaur rock digger surf-board style, and hops into his Flint-mobile to go have dinner with Betty (or was it the other one.....yea, Wilmer). Ha haaaaa. :slomo

onemank6

Hey D26 you do some real good work repairing the old girl thats for sure ......LaFonda will serve you well and looks like she has already worked her way into the family nicely.... kids on a tractor and dad watching i did the same thing with mine ((((((((((( PRICELESS)))))))))) what else can you say

dad2six

I have been wanting something to hold a few small items on the hoe. I.e. tools, rags, extra operator fluid.
Thought about tool boxes but wanted it to be waterproof. Ended up with this weather proof ammo box. I got two magnets from harborfreight and attached them to the bottom. Worked out good. I also made a cup holder. image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

onemank6

D26------------Great ideas ya got there i had a cup holder on mine before the rebuild in the same spot as yours but i just used one of those foam insulated kind and use silicone to glueit down it worked good kept the stuff cold.........

dad2six

Well after building a 5' tall rock wall almost 200' long that I don't get to enjoy looking at. It's nice to start on one I can. Also not a bad view to work from.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

1968 Case 580CK

dad26er......mann, you must work 24 hrs a day to get all that done, plus do all that repair work, and be creative in mounting those gadgets to the 580CK.....impressive. Nice rock walls your putting up.:notworthy

dad2six

dad26er......mann, you must work 24 hrs a day to get all that done, plus do all that repair work, and be creative in mounting those gadgets to the 580CK.....impressive. Nice rock walls your putting up.:notworthy

Ha thanks. and work 45 hrs a week at "work"

dad2six

Been working lafonda hard the last several days. Dug out and built a rock wall. This one is curved and tapered. Stands about 9' high in the center. This will be the backdrop for my fire pit
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

dad2six

Well After a LONG hard summer of work Lafonda has said enough is enough. She had been loosing coolant for a bit and now its very clear that it is blowing out the exhaust. She still ran good and strong until yesterday. I tried to do a little work with her and she could barley get out of her own way at full throttle. With lots of smoke and water coming out the exhaust. Covering us in black speckles. I'm assuming a blown head gasket is the cause? Any other common issues with these old motors I should be aware of? I'm going to limp her into the garage and tear her apart soon.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
D26, The 188D is a pretty solid engine but like anything, age and wear takes its toll. Leaking liners, head gasket, cracked block between cylinders are not uncommon. I had water in the oil on mine and we decided it was a head gasket but because of its age, decided to go the whole 9 yard for a complete rebuild. Once you get into it, the problem will become obvious. I'm no expert, but its sounds like a blown head gasket but other things could be not far behind.
Good luck on the diagnosis and repair.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
From my experience I did the head & head gasket on one and while I was at it should have done the O rings in the liners because a few months one let go.

dad2six

I pulled the head off and no smoking gun. Head Gasket looks normal I cant see a crack in the head but I will take it to the machine shop and have t checked out.
I was able to get 3 of the 4 injectors out. But the last one will not budge. I feel like if I try and twist it anymore it will break off in the head. That's how stuck it is.
Any tips one getting a stuck injector out?

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
If the head checks out, it could be liners leaking, Over the years, the o rings harden and the area they seatin the block may corrode. When I did mine, I pulled the block and had it magnafluxed before going all new. For your injector, the shop can remove it for you. I had one stuck and because they were all being replaced, I cut off the tube from one that was out and used it to press out the stuck one from the piston side. I'm not recommending that method, but it worked for me.

For a complete engine rebuild, I spent about $4k in machine shop and parts. You should be able to do liners and pistons for a much less if everything else is good.

Let us know how you make out...

Grady

Wow, Jusk, 4K just in the motor - not counting your labor to put it together. That's a considerable sum to sink into an old clam. I love my old CK too, maybe just not quite that much. I'll have to do the motor in mine someday. I hope I can get out of it for less. Have you fired her up yet?

D26, I'm glad you're gonna try and save the old girl. It's done a hell of a job for you already so you know you have a good machine. Best of luck.

Juskatla

Occupation
Retired
Grady, I am a couple of days away from firing it up, but have had other things come up that keep me away from the tractor. After looking around for older simple backhoes to replace this one, I decided that I had a better starting place than what I could buy for over $10K. Since I've owned this tractor for 25 yrs and got it from a friend who had it for 15, I know its short comings and what it is capable of doing. The parts costs were not too bad, and the machine shop is one of the best, so I felt it was worth the expense. I already have a fellow who wants to buy it when I want to sell... Given that I will have brought it back to close to new condition, for about $7k, I'm happy. We'll see once its running and I get to the loader and next spring, the backhoe inspection and paintjob.

D26, As long as the block is good, you can fix the rest. Consider pulling the pan and seeing if you can see the tracks the leaks make at the bottom of the sleeves. If you use anti freeze and it got into the oil, you may want to take it apart and check the bearings. Not difficult but the parts add up. I sourced a full overhaul parts kit for $1200 CDN, and US will be cheaper. Keep at it, the tractor will do some work for you to repay the repairs.