• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK Help Wanted

Dirttracker18

Hello all,
First post here as I attempt to get my old backhoe operable.
I acquired this machine broken very inexpensively. The owner had a broke the pinion gear and never got around to the big job of changing it. As such it sat for about 10 years. I brought it home and got it into my shop. This has not been a priority project as much as I'd love to be working it. This has basically been on the back burning, something I worked on when I had extra time on my hands.
Fast forward a few years and I finally have changed out the ring and pinion and got the tractor back to one piece!

Now onto the current issue. After sitting for 10 years, the engine will not turn over. The previous owner was using it when the pinion broke and states it was running fine. This is not the first engine I have worked on that after sitting did not want to turn over. Most of the time they have seized rings and that can be broke loose. On a unit like this I'd be happy to get it turned over and then work on getting it running.

The issue is that I cannot seem to find a good place to put pressure on the engine to turn over. The only location I have is through the starter hole, with a prybar, onto the flywheel teeth. This is far from ideal.
Am I missing someplace better? Anyone have any ideas or gone through this before?
Other info:
It is the diesel version
The hydraulic pump is mounted on the front making it difficult to find a location there.
I have been dumping anti seize liquids down the injector holes for some time now.

Open to ideas and hoping someone has dealt with this before. If I cannot find a better solution soon I will be starting a tear down to see inside. I'm really hoping to avoid that.
Thoughts?

mitch504

Pull the pump and adapter off and there is a harmonic balancer bolt.

Does a straight 580 have a direct coupled pump, or are there u-joints? If u-joints, stick a bar in there.

There has been talk on here about finding a piston that's up and pumping in grease through a compression test adapter, or a modified injector. This sounds like a good idea, though I haven't tested it.

petepilot

Pull the pump and adapter off and there is a harmonic balancer bolt.

Does a straight 580 have a direct coupled pump, or are there u-joints? If u-joints, stick a bar in there.
pumping a cylinder full of grease is not a good idea unless you plan on tearing the engine down anyway. getting the grease back out is a job . is your tractor a standard shift or power shift? if it is standard rocking it back&forth with it in the highest gear may work .
There has been talk on here about finding a piston that's up and pumping in grease through a compression test adapter, or a modified injector. This sounds like a good idea, though I haven't tested it.

dieseldog5.9

This should be moved to the backhoe page instead of old iron, May get people who know backhoes, like I was curious about old iron.

Is this a cummins engine?

The old ran when i parked it.

Tinkerer

It has a Case 207D. Prying on the ringgear teeth is a bad idea if the engine is stuck really bad.
Any chance water got down the exhaust into the engine ?
Play it safe and take the head off. Be careful turning the crankshaft with the head off. If a piston is stuck you may push a sleeve up.
Clamp the sleeves down with washers on the studs.

Dirttracker18

This should be moved to the backhoe page instead of old iron, May get people who know backhoes, like I was curious about old iron.

Is this a cummins engine?

The old ran when i parked it.

Not a Cummins, my research says its the Case 188.

No one tried to pull anything here. This is a family friend and he was using it when it broke and was parked. I have very little invested in this machine. This was a situation where he wanted it off the property and I was willing to come and get it :)

Dirttracker18

It has a Case 207D. Prying on the ringgear teeth is a bad idea if the engine is stuck really bad.
Any chance water got down the exhaust into the engine ?
Play it safe and take the head off. Be careful turning the crankshaft with the head off. If a piston is stuck you may push a sleeve up.
Clamp the sleeves down with washers on the studs.

My understanding is that is the Case G188 in this vintage.

Thanks for the heads up on the sleeves. I have the hood and both manifolds off now. I was hoping to avoid pulling the head but it's starting to look like that's the next move.

Still hoping someone has an idea to try and turn it over. I am not comfortable prying on the ring gear teeth with any real force.

I sure hope I don't have a cylinder filled with water. I'd think that sleeve would then need to be replaced. Both the intake system and exhaust were correctly covered the entire time so I still have hope. Full correct intake and a flapper on the exhaust.

Tinkerer

If it the motors are original, then yes a 580ck has a 188.
580C a 207.
I asked about water because trying to turn it over is a waste of time and more damage can be done.
You will know what needs to be done as soon as you see the bores.
Have you loosened the oil pan plug slightly to see if any water has settled in the pan ?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
10 years??!! U KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE.. There aint a snowballs chance in he!! its gonna turn..
Have u mixed up the 50/50 acetone & atf.?? Best stuff since sliced bread..
Take off the head, lock the liners w/ fender washers & nuts & fill the tops of the piston w/ 50/50.. let it sit a day or 2 & start rapping the top of the pistons w/ a 2x4 & hammer.. THEN try to move it w/ the ring gear..
Good luck.. Sounds like a fun project.. BTW> are the brakes locked up.??

dieseldog5.9

I have a similar project on a D3 Dozer, and at some point I said f$%k it and just pulled the cylinder head and their you go no more mystery. If there is rust in the cylinder you can run a hone in there, and do some shopping how much can the engine kit cost?

Ben Myers

Pull the head and fill the cylinders with kroil, or ATF and acetone mix. Let it sit for a long time. Keep soaking it. I have seen them stuck and been able to free them up by doing this and turning the crank bolt. I have also heard of people soaking them and using a 2x4 to pound on the cylinders to bust them loose. I wouldn't recommend that one unless as a last resort.