• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580 CK engine identity

packratc

New guy here. Just bought the roughest CK in the country. But, it moves and digs!
While looking around the grease and smoke I determined that the 188 block is painted yellow. I thought it would be red. Since this hoe has been through lots of owners, I'm sure, I thought maybe someone had replaced the engine. The printed serial number has been painted over. However, the casting mark in the right side of the block is "CWG" and under that is "F76". Can anyone tell me what this casting mark means. I'm pretty sure that the hoe itself was born in 1967.
One other thing: How do I identify which hydraulic pump I have as it needs rebuilding? I can see the grease-covered thing as the lower sheet metal valence and the grill are missing. I'm looking for both, along with an exhaust manifold, or would you all recommend a new exhaust manifold?
This is a great site. I've been reading it everyday even before I bought the hoe.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
New guy here. Just bought the roughest CK in the country. But, it moves and digs!
While looking around the grease and smoke I determined that the 188 block is painted yellow. I thought it would be red. Since this hoe has been through lots of owners, I'm sure, I thought maybe someone had replaced the engine. The printed serial number has been painted over. However, the casting mark in the right side of the block is "CWG" and under that is "F76". Can anyone tell me what this casting mark means. I'm pretty sure that the hoe itself was born in 1967.
One other thing: How do I identify which hydraulic pump I have as it needs rebuilding? I can see the grease-covered thing as the lower sheet metal valence and the grill are missing. I'm looking for both, along with an exhaust manifold, or would you all recommend a new exhaust manifold?

Packratc

The 188 diesel engine was pretty much the same from its inception with some early updates to the sleeve counterbore area to provide additional support for the sleeve land as very early blocks would have sleeve settling. if someone would have installed an early engine it would have two bolt bolt in injectors, later engines were pencil injector design but heads would interchange with a fuel line change. Is your manifold broken or rusted through or just pitted on the gasket surfaces? A machine shop can surface it for you if pitting is your issue. Aftermarket are also available. It is generally not even feasable to rebuild that pump as they are very reasonable to replace with new directly for Case. You could check with Wenger's from Myerstown Penna. They have a large used parts business and know their stuff. If you had part numbers that would be a real plus as they stock parts by that system. Those numbers you gave are not meaningful as far as the block is concerned, early blocks had a bolt on oil filter base with an upright filter, later base was cast into the rf side of the block with the filter facing straight back. keep us updated. Mel

packratc

Thanks Mel, for the info. The exhaust manifold is rusted through. Evidently the guy I bought it from had the hole plugged with bondo or something, maybe JB Weld. It was not evident when I tried out the hoe. After a 200 mile trailer ride the hidden repair must have jarred out as when I got home the thing was blowing smoke from a hole on the inside of the manifold right onto the #2 injector. Oil and smoke deposits indicate that it has been doing it for quite some time. My guess is the manifold is too thin to weld the hole up, although I could take it off and try it.
I'll check into the price of the hydraulic pump. I'm in the dark when you say that they are reasonably priced.
I think my oil filter base is horizontal and facing rearward. Isn't that where the engine serial numbers are located?
Thanks again. I already have many other questions>