• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 530 engine in 580G?

JointVenture

Does anyone know if a '65 Case 530 diesel engine will bolt up to a late 80's 580G?

Have the opportunity to pick up the 580G cheep ... without an engine.
I have the 530 that runs good but the tractor is in real tough shape.

Thanks,

JV

IH 3500A

Later Case stuff used a 4B or 4BT Cummins but I don't know what year the change occured.

Is it no engine as in bad motor or no engine as in long gone? If it is engine long gone ( like removed for to be used in another machine ) , the real question is why was the engine removed? Who would take apart a good operating machine?

No motor also means missing brackets, fan, linkage , clutch / drive plate , wiring and lots of other stuff.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
IH3500 has a good point. All it takes is a few critical parts missing to make it a difficult swap, like the correct flywheel. I'm not sure if comparing some parts #'s on the CNH site might help or not. I thought the G model used a Perkins engine. Phil

JointVenture

Had further discussions with the seller .... the engine is there, with a big hole in the side of the case. Apparently it threw a rod. With only ~2000+ hours on it :beatsme ? Makes me ask what else will be trashed on the machine??
He also told me this machine was built in France, with the sidestep hoe and vertical stabilizers.

Doesn't sound like it will bolt up ... it was just a thought that it might :eek:

I'll check the CNH site ... good idea Phil.

Thanks IH 3500A.

Need to look at this thing ... that's really what I need to do!

:usa

JV

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
What I might look for is all the parts necessary to put it back together. Make sure he has them all, flywheel, motor mount brackets, pump drive, make a list before you go. That's if he has put a good low price on it.

Get the info off the motor or try and have it identified. Tractor wreckers can almost always i.d. an engine with a few pictures and they will tell you what you have. Seems to me now that it was a David Brown engine, not a Perkins. Some of the David Brown tractor engines were weak, with only 3 main bearings, the red DB 990's and the brown/ white 990's had those engines, and crankshafts are rare. There was a thread here somewhere showing several pictures of 580G.

I would disregard the hour reading, the mechanical tach drive cable snapped over time and some CK's, B's, C's, D's, and early E's can have very nice hour readings because of it.

Could have a lot of problems mating the 188 engine to the torque tube, but you never know.

To ramble on, I was told by an old Case mechanic that the farm tractor blocks from the 430 and 530 tractors had thinner castings and are not as desirable for a backhoe. The 188 diesel used a smaller liner flange before a certain engine serial# and I don't think these liners maintain their height as well as the blocks age. Some redo the block for the larger flange, as the 'small' liners and the correct 'fire ring' type head gaskets are no longer available. Phil

Last edited: