• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 530 carrier bearing preload. Side gear question.

Cariboo4x4

Occupation
Semi-retired
I been experimenting with setting my carrier bearing preload. So far I have installed new carrier housings with new races, shims, and new bearings and thrust washers on my side gears. I adjusted the side gears to center wheel pinions backlash on the workbench. My service manual stated how to use the dial gauge to measure correct backlash. I installed new metal thrust washers since I was advised to avoid reusing the old style fiber thrust washers.

I won't install my seals and o-rings until final assembly. The service manual spec is 3-8 ft lbs preload. So I have it preloaded up to 5 ft. lbs rolling torque. The ring gear is stiff to turn by hand. Is it normal that you can't turn ring gear if you prevent one side gear from turning? I have everything lubed.

Cariboo4x4

Occupation
Semi-retired
So figured out why side gears won't turn. Its just the amount of preload that makes them hard to turn by hand.

I'm installing a good used ring gear center wheel assembly and good used pinion\countershaft.

Just wondering now if I should have preload closer to minimum spec of 3 ft lbs or maximum 8 ft lbs or in the middle with used parts. I'm thinking 5-6 ft. lbs. would good.

I read some good posts on here about fellows doing this type of work so just looking for a seasoned second opinion. Thank you in advance.

nicholasj

I been experimenting with setting my carrier bearing preload. So far I have installed new carrier housings with new races, shims, and new bearings and thrust washers on my side gears. I adjusted the side gears to center wheel pinions backlash on the workbench. My service manual stated how to use the dial gauge to measure correct backlash. I installed new metal thrust washers since I was advised to avoid reusing the old style fiber thrust washers.

I won't install my seals and o-rings until final assembly. The service manual spec is 3-8 ft lbs preload. So I have it preloaded up to 5 ft. lbs rolling torque. The ring gear is stiff to turn by hand. Is it normal that you can't turn ring gear if you prevent one side gear from turning? I have everything lubed.

nicholasj

Im doing same replacing pinion gear im not good with testing backlash im wondering how many shims u used on each side and what thickness or if you new what they were at originally

Cariboo4x4

Occupation
Semi-retired
Are you referring to "side gears" that slide over shaft on either side of ring gear? I had to replace my side gears due to excessive gear spalling. You need to use a dial indicator to measure backlash. Do you currently have some old shims to start with? I bought two new thrust washers one for each side measuring 0.104" thick.

nicholasj

These are the thin square shim DC that go in carrier my parts manual list them at .003 .005 .010 I doubt they came from the factory different I just want to put them back on the same as they were with new but forgot

Cariboo4x4

Occupation
Semi-retired
Normally you set the bearing preload with just ring gear in by adding and subtracting the square carrier shims. With new races and new bearings you go with max preload.

Then remove ring gear and install pinion. Again if you are using new races and bearings adjust pinion to max preload.

Then install ring gear and start with more square carrier shims on LH carrier to adjust backlash between ring and pinion. If you don't have a dial indicator its going to be difficult to measure backlash. You can use gear marking prussian blue or grease to observe "ring and pinion contact pattern". I read on line you can run a piece of newspaper through mesh of ring and pinion and if newspaper gets cut backlash is too tight. For my tractor ring pinion backlash is 0.005-0.009" backlash. Newspaper I'd say is thinner than 0.005" so use layers to get correct thickness.

After back lash is adjusted you make sure you use the same number of square shims to be at max preload. Once baclash is correct you may have 0.020" of shims on LH side for example so if your total shim preload was 0.040" of total shim material for both sides, you put 0.020" on RH side.

Do you have the preload specs? And backlash specs?

I installed new carrier housings, new races and bearings. I also installed a good used ring and pinion so my number of shims has changed per side. Initially there was 0.035" on LH side and 0.030" on right side. I'm still working on my backlah for ring and pinion.

nicholasj

Awesome man I think im gonna roll the dice here your original ones seem the same as mine were im gonna go check with a micrometer I think I had 3 .010 on the one side and 3 .010 and a .005 on the other once in ill check mesh with .005 feeler gauge

nicholasj

I have machine split im gonna try to cheat on the web pinion gear I have an extra so im gonna try to push the extra one through while removing old on then slide the new one back through

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The best way I've found to set preload on side gear bearings is to put all the shims on the ring gear side. Don't put o-rings or seals in plates bolt them to housing and torque nuts to 80lbft, you will have to take up space on studs use oversize nuts. Turn side gears while you tighten nuts on ring gear side so you don't over tighten. You can add or remove shims as needed to set preload, onec you get it set then the shims that you have used is the ones that you need to use to set backlash. If you don't have a dial indicator then you can use a brown paper bag. Tear off like a 2" square and run it through between the ring gear and pinion, if it creases the paper real good without tearing it the it is set pretty close to .05-.07" hope this helped.

nicholasj

So figured out why side gears won't turn. Its just the amount of preload that makes them hard to turn by hand.

I'm installing a good used ring gear center wheel assembly and good used pinion\countershaft.

Just wondering now if I should have preload closer to minimum spec of 3 ft lbs or maximum 8 ft lbs or in the middle with used parts. I'm thinking 5-6 ft. lbs. would good.

I read some good posts on here about fellows doing this type of work so just looking for a seasoned second opinion. Thank you in advance.

nicholasj

Ifk for sure about the tight specs thanks for The advice on the paper trick between gears im still waiting for gaskets before I can continue sorry I couldn't really answer your question if the gears were off one way or the other what's better tight or loose

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
When you put all the shims on the ring gear side it will move the ring gear away from the pinion it will be way loose.

nicholasj

When you put all the shims on the ring gear side it will move the ring gear away from the pinion it will be way loose.
Well Think I can do it im gonna put the hubs on and shims with the specs you gave me and check it first with paper then I might try to experiment my indicator gage

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Well Think I can do it im gonna put the hubs on and shims with the specs you gave me and check it first with paper then I might try to experiment my indicator gage
his
This is to set the preload only. When you go to set back lash you need to move some shims over to the other side to get your back lash. You can run the piece of paper through but it will be loose and not crease it.