• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 480B and 580 CK wheel lock up

pineland

I have two mid 70s Case Tractor/Loaders with Backhoes. I am going a little crazy trying to figure out why the rear wheels lock up. On the 480, I found the brake was locking up. Moved forward and back and it cleared. (definitely brake issues to be worked on.)
However... on the 580, it will not move in gear and just get a clunking sound from the left side wheel. After seeing the great posts here, decided it would be either diff lock or brakes locked up. But...as I research this and realize the tractor WILL move around by pushing or pulling in neutral as that is how we got it off the delivery trailer. In neutral and used the hoe to move it off trailer. Im thinking that it prob would not be the brakes locking up or the diff lock if it moves in neutral. This one also will not go into 1st or 2nd gear by the shift. (possible detent balls in shift mechanism) It will go into 3 and 4. (Shuttle shift) . Is it the transmission locking up gears? Differential lock...Ugh! Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Walker1

My 530 has a right side brake doing the same thing. They have such a goofy brake set up it doesnt take much rust the start jamming the works.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Hey pineland,your descriptions are all over the place...on the 580 start with the left side brakes,make sure your brake lever that pivots on the housing isn't seized up, matter of fact check the movement on both sides..if those are free moving make sure the adjusters on top of those levers are not overadjusted and if they move freely, just for $hits and giggles back those adjusters off and see if your wheels turn freely...just remember you're not going to have much or any brake function if you do this....When I first claimed my 580 I could not figure out why my machine wouldn't move even though I could hear the shuttle working...those two gremlins were the issue..inspect those first.Also..check to make sure emergency brake cable/lever is not stuck.If your stabilizers work lift er up and check er elevated..check that issue and respond with results..oops.. as for your shifter issue the shifter itself may have pulled up and popped out of the forks..you may have to pull shift cover or you may just be able to pull lever by removing boot and snap ring and realign with small bar..just an idea never tried it..

Last edited:

stinky64

Occupation
Walker1, not familiar w/530 but contrary to belief too much grease or thrust on those parts really doesn't soften the metal:rolleyes:

Walker1

It has been a while since I had mine apart, so I don’t remember exactly how it all works, but those egg shaped bearings seem to be the problem when it sits. They don’t hold the grease, they wear a fair bit, the grease gets cruddy, add a little rust, and then it seems to lock up. When they are under more consistent use it doesn’t seem to be a problem.

stinky64

Occupation
Sorry pineland, maybe I should have paid more attention to the heading on your thread,,,although 580ck and 580c are similar, I don't think brake linkage advice is correct for your machine..although shifter stuff may work...didn't mean to confuse the problem...sorry I'm a dumba$$... Stinky...

pineland

Thanks
Hey pineland,your descriptions are all over the place...on the 580 start with the left side brakes,make sure your brake lever that pivots on the housing isn't seized up, matter of fact check the movement on both sides..if those are free moving make sure the adjusters on top of those levers are not overadjusted and if they move freely, just for $hits and giggles back those adjusters off and see if your wheels turn freely...just remember you're not going to have much or any brake function if you do this....When I first claimed my 580 I could not figure out why my machine wouldn't move even though I could hear the shuttle working...those two gremlins were the issue..inspect those first.Also..check to make sure emergency brake cable/lever is not stuck.If your stabilizers work lift er up and check er elevated..check that issue and respond with results..oops.. as for your shifter issue the shifter itself may have pulled up and popped out of the forks..you may have to pull shift cover or you may just be able to pull lever by removing boot and snap ring and realign with small bar..just an idea never tried it..
So...sorry for the delay but figured out my problems! The 480 needed the right side brake post tapped back and does not lock up any more! Need to R and R both sides this spring and clean up brakes etc. The 580....Bad news. Pulled cover off and looked at the ring gear or should I say, what was left of it. Pinnion is also fubar so time to split the tractor...

Tinkerer

Thanks

So...sorry for the delay but figured out my problems! The 480 needed the right side brake post tapped back and does not lock up any more! Need to R and R both sides this spring and clean up brakes etc. The 580....Bad news. Pulled cover off and looked at the ring gear or should I say, what was left of it. Pinnion is also fubar so time to split the tractor...
:(

stinky64

Occupation
That sucks, but look at the bright side, one works..and if you have absolutely nothing to do next summer, you have a transaxle to rebuild..

planenut

I have two mid 70s Case Tractor/Loaders with Backhoes. I am going a little crazy trying to figure out why the rear wheels lock up. On the 480, I found the brake was locking up. Moved forward and back and it cleared. (definitely brake issues to be worked on.)
However... on the 580, it will not move in gear and just get a clunking sound from the left side wheel. After seeing the great posts here, decided it would be either diff lock or brakes locked up. But...as I research this and realize the tractor WILL move around by pushing or pulling in neutral as that is how we got it off the delivery trailer. In neutral and used the hoe to move it off trailer. Im thinking that it prob would not be the brakes locking up or the diff lock if it moves in neutral. This one also will not go into 1st or 2nd gear by the shift. (possible detent balls in shift mechanism) It will go into 3 and 4. (Shuttle shift) . Is it the transmission locking up gears? Differential lock...Ugh! Any help or advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

planenut

Need help...Member "Pineland" said the brakes intermittently froze up on his 480C which could be released by going in and out of gears and he fixed it by taping on the "Brake Post". My 480C tractor is doing the same thing! But I don't know what he means by the "Brake Post". What is it and where is it? Sorry but I am not a mechanic and/or much familiar with the tractor. Any help would really be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 20230702_150342.jpg
    20230702_150342.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Tinkerer

I have no idea what he meant.
But whatever he did is only a temporary fix to release the brake.
You really need to find out what is binding up in yours and fix it.
It could be as simple as needing a new slave cylinder and a good cleaning.