• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 455b steering question

Howard Passaro II

Hi I looked at a case 455b track loader over the weekend. It steered fine when I put one lever in high and one in lo. But when I put one lever in neutral and one in hi or lo. It seemed to go straight. Is this normal or when you turn this way is it really really slow?? I do not think this would have anything to do with it but the brakes do not work and the lines maybe disconnected . Thanks any help would be appreciated.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Official Welcome to HEF @Howard Passaro II

What you are describing re bumping one track into neutral sounds perfectly normal. It is just coating along & it should just veer off a little as you throttle up.
Those transmissions are designed to steer using the high/low levers. ie - one track in high & the other in low.

The brakes on a 450B are a dry friction disc type - they are difficult to work on to carry out a repair, so the lesser you can use them the better off you are.
They should only be used to stop the machine in a hurry or for tight manoeuvring.

The brake lines travel from the master cylinders to slave cylinders via neutralizing valves on the transmission control valve.
If the brakes have not been used for a while these will all need some TLC.
Then you will likely need to go inside the brake housings to get things working properly in that area.

thebaz

I have a 455C loader and I do most of my steering while pushing by putting the steering levers in neutral. The machine will turn depending on the load on the bucket/blade. I mainly use the brakes for steering when loading trucks etc and use the transmission steering when the need to turn does not need to be tight or when pushing around a bend. Not sure why anyone would remove the brake lines. The left brake is relatively easy to access and service, the right one is very difficult.