• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 fuel starting problem

ianto36

Occupation
Railway maintenance
Hi Gents
I have a Case 450 track loader that I am buying here in the UK, it has not been started for a while and I am having trouble getting fuel up to the injectors! I have rigged up a rubber bung and pressurised the fuel system thus getting fuel to the pump, it is a stanadyne pump and I have taken one of the injector feeds off and no diesel spurts out on cranking? Anyone any ideas on problems or remedies would be much appreciated

Thanks
Ian

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
U can take off the top cover{3 screws} & see if the metering valve is stuck..
Work the shut off lever & a "leg" should hit the metering valve arm & move it to the sh-off position & when moved the other way{run} the MV should return under its own power{spring}

ianto36

Occupation
Railway maintenance
U can take off the top cover{3 screws} & see if the metering valve is stuck..
Work the shut off lever & a "leg" should hit the metering valve arm & move it to the sh-off position & when moved the other way{run} the MV should return under its own power{spring}
Thanks pump guy i will have a look, fingers crossed

ianto36

Occupation
Railway maintenance
Just to update, stripped off top of pump and it seemed as if the metering valve was not returning, the throttle spring looks to be loose but not having any experience with these i am not sure if it is how they should be! Anyway replaced top of pump cranked over and diesel started spurting out of injector ports on pump body, got diesel up to injectors and it started into life, however it would not run once we tightened all joints and injectors, found out that the return line to the tank must be blocked and this was causing the system to pressurise and balance out not allowing fuel to flow

I had been told that the case 450 is a nightmare to bleed as it is gravity fed, so I rigged up a pipe test pressure bung and drilled the top to fit a tyre valve into and fitted to the diesel filler, used a big bicycle pump to pressurise the tank and force the diesel through, worked a treat