• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 450 crawler dozer

mcprp

hi , my name is mike , i just bought my first dozer and have not yet found out how bad i have been ripped off . i just got it to my land and the starter went with in the first hour . just turned it off and tried to restart it. well i noticed a lot of things that need attention but i have to start out with one basic question at a time . if anyone wouldnt mind helping me i cant tell you how much i would appreciate it . i have good mechanical ability but am so ignorant when it comes to diesels and dozers so i hope you can have patience with me .

mcprp

thank you for your response . my first question is ,I want to drain the transmission fluid to see what it looks like and how much comes out . where is the lowest point to do so so I know its drained completely ? is there a plug on the bottom of the pan . the only one I know of is in the back bottom of the reservoir but that seems to high .

mcprp

again I have not positively identified the serial number yet but im pretty sure its a 1980 case 450 crawler dozer ,diesel , torque converter shift levers

mcprp

I think I just caught myself in what is called a brain fart . the drain im referring to in the back im thinking is the fuel . I don't know if I could just find out where to drain the tranny fluid that would be great .

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I want to drain the transmission fluid to see what it looks like and how much comes out

The only drain plug #8 is found in the bottom of the transmission housing (RHS)
It is filled through the dipstick.
In your climate you will want to use a 10W transmission oil & need about 25-30 litres.
You should also inspect the transmission suction screen (red circle) located behind the RHS engine cover.
The transmission filter is inside the operators right armrest compartment.

The final drives are 2 x separate sumps each using gear oil.
Probably 90W best for your climate. Drain plugs on each oil pan & fillers located about halfway up the inside of each housing.

450 transmission drain.png 450 suction screen.png

Last edited:

mcprp

wow perfect picture , the couple I looked at were really blurry . lol . thanks so much . I did read a little and saw that the two tranny filters are ,one high pressure and one , suction . as I recall one can be washed and the other is replaceable , correct ? . I got 15 gallons of oil called triax agra UTTO xl synthetic blend premium tractor hydraulic & transmission fluid which leads me to my next question . lol im going to drain the hydraulic fluid also because when checking it I noticed it was a little milky , not completely white but a little bit . im keeping my fingers crossed on that also hoping that , that wont turn into a nightmare . its funny you mentioned it because the next thing will be the final drive . so with all this said is there any other precautions to take that you can think of as far as changing those three oils ? I did read that you should fill the suction hose with tran oil to protect the # 5 (the pump) when starting . the very first thing im going to do is degrease everything and make it nice and clean so I might be able to see visual leaks after im done . I keep praying that my torque converter is ok . I know its not working properly but im hoping its because its low on fluid . I wish I was smarter when I bought this thing but I couldn't find anyone to look at it with me . the tansmission seems to be fine and all the hydraulics seem to work ok and it turns good but when I pushed on something that I knew would most likely not move , the tracks didn't even skip the ground . nor did the engine bog down . I have to some how try to do as much work as I can my self after calling around and finding out what they get for labor and cost . the under carriage seems to be good but I have more to learn about that . I know the sprockets look good and the pins are round . there is space for stretching the track , maybe about 6 inches . ill take pictures as I progress , we got about four days of rain in the forecast ..

mcprp

so I got a serial number off the engine today . im hoping someone can tell me what year my dozer is . engine G188D .serial number 2767033.

alrman

Occupation
does anyone know what oil filter and oil I should buy for the engine ?

G188 engine should use a monograde 30w engine oil
Filter numbers Case - A146696 ; Fleetguard LF3530; Donaldson P557780
This is a link to the CNH Online Parts Catalogue - you will find this helpful.

so I got a serial number off the engine today . im hoping someone can tell me what year my dozer is . engine G188D .serial number 2767033.

That serial number is only for the engine, the machine serial number should be on a tag LHS of machine, near the floor of the operator access area.
It should have 7 numbers starting with a 3
You may also find it stamped on the chassis rails near the engine, I can't recall exactly where though....

alrman

Occupation
What was wrong with the old starter? Not engaging the flywheel?
What does the ring gear look like on the flywheel?
Does the original starter look like it's been on the engine a long time?

mcprp

I shut the dozer off . when I went to restart it , it just clicked . I took the starter off and took it apart . two of the winding contacts were broke , and the end of the winding is like chewed up . here is a picture . I have no idea how it worked fine one minute and look like that . there is no damage to the flywheel or the gear on the starter . forgot what its called . lol

Attachments

• 577841257.jpg
    577841257.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 577841272.jpg
    577841272.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 27

mcprp

here are some more pictures .

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    767.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 27

mcprp

a lot of the starters online look exactly the same so my question is what makes them different, 10 t , 12 v, same shape , same rotation , same bolt location . ect...

mcprp

Product No: 104202A2R
ns for Order Items this is cases price so you can see why I shop around . supposedly the 104202a2r superseded the remy 1109149
REMAN-STARTER
Product No: 104202A2R

$345.00
Recommended Qty 1

REMAN-STARTER

Weight: 31.987 lbs

• $345.00

mcprp

also it seems like your the only one that wants to help me on this site . I thought that's what this site is all about , helping each other . I sure do appreciate your help though .