• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 445CT - arm won't move

Drewblood

Well, I was using my grapple bucket to move some cut trees and all of a sudden I lost the ability to raise/lower my bucket. I can tilt/curl No problem, but pushing on left arm left/right....nothing. It moves track back/forward No problem.
Any thoughts on where to start diagnosing? Could it be a fuse, actuator...?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Drew

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Ok, I'll make some comments here to see if this gets some attention by someone familiar with this machine.

I'll start by saying I have no experience what so ever with this machine. Newest Case I have worked on was an early 1990's 1845C!

Reading into what you have posted I'm going to guess this machine has Joystick controls? Are they electrical controls or pilot operated hydraulic control valves?

Also reading into what you posted it sounds like everything was working perfect one second and the next everything except the boom up and boom down function still worked. So that would tend to, but not positively, rule out a safety lock out switch. So this has me thinking in possibly three different areas. First being, assuming the controls are electrical, the switch or sensor in the joy stick itself. Next thing again assuming electrical controls would be wiring from joy stick to a computer of some kind. And third I'm guessing there is some type of solenoid valve on the actual hydraulic valve body.

The first order of business would be to simply look for broken or loose wires.

One possible thing to try if it is possible and the controls are electrical would be if the solenoids on the actual hydraulic valve body are the the same and located near each other it might be possible to switch the wires from on to the other. Now if the boom goes up and down but the bucket won't curl you have at least eliminated the hydraulic valve and the solenoids as the cause. Put wires back to the correct position and try again, there is a small chance unhooking and reconnecting wires would clean a connection and cure the problem.

Hopefully this may get some attention from someone who actually has worked on one of these machines and they will chime in with more and better ideas.

Please also take note that this is the week after Christmas and things maybe going on with family and people may just be busy traveling and not available to read and reply. I know if this was a question on large mining Cat equipment one of the best people in the world to answer those types of questions is away from computer access with his in-laws for a few weeks. So do not think the lack of response is because people do not want to help. After the first of the year you may get more advice.

JPV

I am not familiar with your machine either but I know on the older Gehl skid steers the safety lockouts (seat switch and lap bar) only locked out the boom functions. They will still travel. There is an electric solenoid valve in each circuit (lift and dump) that is energized to allow flow to the functions. If you can find those I would check to see if there is power there with safety switches engaged. If there is then ohm out the solenoids, the one that reads open or very high ohms is shot. Again I have no idea if this applies to your machine, make sure you let us know what you find. Kshansen had great advice also.

pajibson

Had someone with the same problem on a 445CT. Try pulling all the fuses & relays. Clean all the contacts with brake clean and a wire brush or some fine grit emory tape. Clean the socket contacts with the cleaner and a small ignition file and blow all the dirt and crap out of the fuse panel. Then start checking the safety switches. IIRC that machine has one for "cab down", "seat belt" and "lap bar". Let us know if that helps.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
From what others have posted it sounds like what is needed is a service manual of some kind that would give you and us some idea of how this system of controls is suppose to operate. It's very difficult to troubleshoot something without knowing what is "normal". If you know, say the lap bar safety switch only locks out the boom but not the bucket functions, you then can concentrate on that area. Switch wiring and maybe a relay in the system.

Like I think I mentioned before a service manual may sound expensive but compared to paying travel time for a dealer mechanic to make two or more trip to fix the problem and not counting the loose of use of the machine it can be the best money spent.

JPV

X2, I hate to admit it but it is absolutely amazing what you can learn by reading the instructions. They usually aren't cheap but well worth it if you plan on keeping the machine for a while.

Drewblood

Had someone with the same problem on a 445CT. Try pulling all the fuses & relays. Clean all the contacts with brake clean and a wire brush or some fine grit emory tape. Clean the socket contacts with the cleaner and a small ignition file and blow all the dirt and crap out of the fuse panel. Then start checking the safety switches. IIRC that machine has one for "cab down", "seat belt" and "lap bar". Let us know if that helps.

So I did all that you recommended. All the fuse and relay contacts were nasty. Didn't fix the problem, but needed to be done anyway. As far as safety switches, I knew of the 3 you mentioned and confirmed that none of those were a factor.....however, it appears there is a 4th safety switch that only locks the boom from moving up/down. It is a lever behind the right joystick. I never noticed it, and certainly never used it. Not sure how it all of a sudden moved, but it did and would not stay in the position necessary to keep safety switch pulled out. My solution was to move the lever the 1/4" it needed and tack-welded it to the frame. Works great now.
I do have a service manual, but could not find anything on that dang lever.
Thanks to all who replied, I really appreciate all the advice and support!!

JPV

Wow, good job finding that, sounds like a good fix to me also, wonder what the original point of that switch would have been? Thanks, just learned something new!

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
lol. Welding the loader bypass lever is funny. This makes me laugh a little. Your loader interlock solenoid failed.

The red lever on the frame is for lowering your boom if your machine loses power. It is connected to your interlock solenoid, on the loader control valve. With the red lever welded over, you can move the loader at any time now. Kind of a safety issue. You should also replace your bucket interlock solenoid, as it will fail soon too. There is no bypass lever for it.

Items 7 and 8

loader valve.jpg

Last edited: