• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 445 vs 445 series3 real life differences

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Business Owner, Equipment Operator, Fishing Guide
Hi,
Looks like I'll be purchasing a new to me case 445 (06) or a 445 series 3. Both machines have very similar hours and both been well maintained. Both come with same options, controls etc. Looks like the series 3 is 12" wider. (6ft vs. 5ft.) Beyond that, what are some of the other real life differences/benefits of one vs. the other. Thanks

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Guess my other question is would a series 3 case 440 fall on its face with 3k lbs on a set of forks at max height of 4ft. Not sure if there are aftermarket counter weights available for the 440 or if the hydraulics would be able to handle it since it's rated for 2k lbs. at 50% It would not be all of the time, just from time to time....

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I would like a real world opinion of the series 1 cab to the series 3 cabs on these machines. Does the pressurized cab really make a huge difference?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I believe the Series 3 is turboed and the Series 1 is not, confirm that before taking my word for it. The cab is 100% better in the Series 3. You also get Pilot controls where the Series 1 is Servo. These machines should be the same width, one must have different tires or the rims flipped around to the other offset. The servo system is very good in these machines but not as nice as pilots in my opinion. The 440 I think is actually 2200 ROC, I have had two of these machines and they are outstanding. The loader arms will lift practically anything you put in front of the machine. Whether or not you have the counterweight to keep it from coming over is another question. The machine has a very power lift arm force. It would likely be touch and go at 3K. There are no counterweights for these machines. I have seen guys extend the bumper out to gain some additional counterweight on the 440.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Yes, re. the turbo; yes the 440 is 2200 ROC; Sure wish there were factory counter weights. Looks like there was something for the 445's. I like the extended bumper idea. Having worked with/seen most of these, in your opinion which of the 3 (445, 445 series 3 or 440 series 3) would be the best suitable for landscape construction duties, assuming the service history, etc. is similar for all 3. the 440 has 1k hours and the other two have 1.8k. Price point wise they're all within 4k. I'll be putting ott tracks on which ever one I choose. Again the only time the machine would be asked to manage a 3k pallet is when doing block walls. I'm assuming the ott tracks would help the stability end of things as well.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
We run OTT,s on a series 1 450 when it gets muddy or working on slopes and I would say they do help with stability. Not sure if they really help with lifting though or act as much of a counter weight. We run the tracks plus brand and I have found the skid really needs to be driven differently when running them, they don't like quick spins or turns. Usually do 3 point turns with them. They are also awesome in the mud.
So far I've been pretty rough on the 450 and it has held up surprisingly well. I do wish it was a series 3 though.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The 440 is one of my all time favorite machines. They are very powerful, 85 hp net, they cycle fast, great sight lines for grading. The only thing that it gives up is the vertical lift reach of the 445 if your loading trucks. I owned an 85XT which is the early version of the 445. They were not turboed in those days and it really struggled at my elevation. The Series 3 fixed a lot of that with it being turboed. If you spend most of your time not using the bucket over the height of the cab, I would get the 440. Cant go wrong with that machine.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Well thank you all for your thoughts. The 440 ended up being sold from under me by the dealer. Wasn't meant to be I guess. A day later, another 445 came up. It's an 07, so the last year of pre series 3. Although it would have been nice to have the series 3, I think this machine will do fine for what I need it to do. (most of my work is excavator related so I won't bee putting too many hours on the skid. It's go 1800 hour on it, dealer serviced and in real nice shape. all options except high flow, with hand controls. brand new tires, and came with a heavy duty grapple bucket as well. price was right. May the H pattern learning curve begin.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Let us know how you like it. I've been keeping my eye out for a series 3 445 to trade my 450 in on. I think a vertical lift machine would work better for most of what I do.
I have looked at a few newer machines but they are priced out of sight nowadays for personal machine.

Canuck Digger

Occupation
Today was the first day of paid work for the machine. Moving a whole bunch of sand and top soil into medians. Here are my first impressions of the machine. Love the hand controls although it wasn't pretty. :) I've run hand/foot and pilots before so this was a whole new ball of wax. Very responsive. Machine has plenty of power. Love the foot throttle. Set her half way via the lever and let the foot do the rest when need be. It's a little noisy, but nowhere near as bad as a bobcat. The visibility is OK but not great. The only real draw back so far is visibility to the cutting edge. With the bucket/cutting edge flat on the ground, can't see the tip of the cutting edge. That will be a real minus when fine grading. Might look at getting a longer bottom bucket. I've gone through the operators manual and think I have all the buttons figured out. The 2 speed came in handy, and it's FAST.

The only question I have, when starting the machine, it doesn't seem to have a glow plug check light. All my other diesel trucks/equipment have something to let me know when the glow plugs have done their thing and the fuel is ready. Does anyone know if these machines have this? Reason I'm asking is it does seem to struggle to crank on the am start. Once she's warmed up it's fine.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Glad you like the new machine. I have trouble seeing the cutting edge on the factory bucket too so, I use the bucket off my Kubota tractor if I'm trying to smooth something. If I remember right the only glow plug indication is the light on the console. Sometimes I cycle it twice if its cold out. Mine always cranks first thing in the am but does labor a little like maybe the battery is week. It doesn't spin over a lot just seems slow then cranks fine the rest of the day.
I really like the Case the only thing I don't care for is the way you have to bleed pressure off the aux hydraulics.