• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 210C has A/C problem

Bc18

I have a caterpillar chart I'll post up tomorrow.

I would evac system. It's obviously not leaking but double check it hold vacuum. Should pull 28-30in. Then replace dryer and expansion valve and make sure the evaporator isn't clogged with dirt

Shimmy1

I have a caterpillar chart I'll post up tomorrow.

I would evac system. It's obviously not leaking but double check it hold vacuum. Should pull 28-30in. Then replace dryer and expansion valve and make sure the evaporator isn't clogged with dirt
The evap was/still partially plugged up. Since I can't access it without stripping the entire HVAC unit out, I cleaned it best I could. Thanks for the advice, but I'm not going to open the system.

Delmer

... Had plenty of dirt/mud/whatever all over it. Not sure how that crap all got in there, since the fresh air and the re-circ air both have filters...

The dust gets through the filters because the filters are designed to protect the evaporator and heater core from stuff big enough to plug them, but the dust that gets through sticks to the wet evaporator, then it grows fuzz overnight, then it forms a nice wet mat that filters the air much better than the factory filters, trapping lots more wonderful nutrients.

You did the right thing by blowing it out as best you can with air and water. If it causes problems again, see if there's anywhere you can add some access holes to spray water at a better angle.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
do you know that the a/c system has some sort of computer control that controls the output. The sensor is that little black dot on top of the computer LCD screen about the size of a nickel if it's not clean(Dusty) or shaded ( so tinted windows confuses it) it won't let the a/c cool correctly they tell me it's supposed to keep it from over cooling just more B.S to break

CatKC

The A/C system -is not- controlled by the light sensor.
The sensor sometimes controls such things as lights and console lighting, depending on the device.
A/C systems are quite simplistic in function and operation. -Their output- (airflow, Etc) is -sometimes- controlled by temperature sensors but never by a light sensor.

Shimmy1

The A/C system -is not- controlled by the light sensor.
The sensor sometimes controls such things as lights and console lighting, depending on the device.
A/C systems are quite simplistic in function and operation. -Their output- (airflow, Etc) is -sometimes- controlled by temperature sensors but never by a light sensor.
Actually, on these particular Case machines, the light sensor does affect the cooling, IF the ECM determines that it needs to. I know this because there is a diagnostic screen for strictly the A/C system built in. It reads a multitude of things, among them the evap temp, incoming air temp, and sun load. Not trying to be a smartass, but it is a fact. Also, I notice that it isn't a perfect system, because it will run cooler on a bright, sunny day than it will on a cloudy day. On my machine, I will have to set the target temp higher on a sunny day than cloudy, also need to turn the temp DOWN when the sun goes down and it's still hot out.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I had an Infiniti car that had a system that worked exactly as you described. Except it worked well, as intended. You set the desired temperature and if the sun was pouring in it would run the fan a little more to make sure you felt cool, or the right temperature.

CatKC

You learn something every day, that's a new one on me. I knew a few auto's had similar sensors but I've never seen a Case with a sensor that also controls the A/C.
Next time I'll keep my keyboard (mouth) shut unless/until I see a wiring schematic. . . Better no response than incorrect response or misinformation.

Last edited:

CatKC

Agree. And when a manufacturer/someone starts screwing with a 'basic function' such as AC intending to make it more 'modern' and apply 'computers' for control, it only makes it more difficult to diagnose what is likely a 'simple problem'. Then it takes the 'diagnosis' out of the hands of the individual, whom is confused by all the 'computer controls' or the 'words/acronyms' used by someone that -may- want to charge for unneeded work.
I know computers and computer controls and always use K.I.S.S. as my guideline. I've saved many . . . .money, by fixing "expensive" repairs for very little, as the 'repair' was simple.
Auto temp (and the controls) are another way to insure the current hedonistic society is satisfied. Personally, I don't mind turning a knob up/down to adjust the temperature.

Last edited: