• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 188d

Bryan5238

Hey everyone! So I’m a proud new owner of a case 580c with a blown motor. Rod through the block. I have a good running 580b with a 188 I’m going to use for the 580c.
My question to you all while I have the motor out and getting it cleaned up should I go ahead and rebuild the motor even though it runs pretty good? Not sure on what the oil pressure is.

Welder Dave

I'd do compression, blowby and oil pressure tests and if they are acceptable run it as is. Wouldn't be a bad idea to adjust the valves, check injectors, repair any leaks and do other basic maintainance. You can rebuild it any time you want in the future. Why spend the money if the engine checks out OK and runs good.

Bryan5238

It does have blow by I do remember that from using it in the passed. I will go ahead and check those things. On checking the compression is there a certain fitting I need to do a compression test?

Welder Dave

If you're not familiar have a shop do it. You have to use a compression tester designed for diesels. You need the proper adapter to replace the injector.

Bryan5238

I should have the kit. Maybe not the correct adapter. Rebuilt a Perkins 203 few years ago. Still have the tools

Bryan5238

Now just wanting you all’s opinion. What’s the better motor. More reliable. 188 or 207?

Les1

Hi,
What is your injector pump and lines like, I have a 350 track loader and do not injector pump or lines, if they are ok and your will to sell them what would you want?
The only thing is iam in New Zealand
Thank Les