1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CASE 1845c Restoration. Follow my progress!

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by Larpy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

I will post pics of this project as I progress. I needed something to keep me busy. I found something!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Joel59 likes this.
  2. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

The before pics.

Attached Files:

3. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

Cab off

Attached Files:

4. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot of time cleaning. The well under the seat was packed with mud, fluid and trash! I separated the top part of the cab from the lower section. All the controls have been disassembled and new bushings, rod ends and fittings will be installed after sand blasting this weekend! I am painting this unit military tan with a high end enamel used by Lockheed Martin's space program (Long story on how I got it :) )

Attached Files:

5. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel Well-Known Member

Great platform to start with. (Simple, rugged and dependable) Funny how those three go hand in hand. Best engine ever put in a skiddy, imho. Known to go 10k+ hours before rebuilding. Made by a major company for many years, parts should be no problem. Looking forward to watching your progress !

6. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    I guess it stands to reason that u wouldn't have started this project w/o sufficient info before hand..
    BUT just in case.. e-backhoeparts dot com is where a lot of guys go for info & parts..
    Dale Weiss is a walking engine manual, when it comes to just about anything Case.
    Good luck w/ your project..

Tenwheeler likes this.
  7. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

< waiting on Tracings "Dale the cat.":D

8. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I have been studying the Service manual and parts and have done well so. Most items I have needed have been located so far. I wish there was a salvage yard here in Denver but no luck that I have found. Off to the bead blaster this morning for the hand controls and linkage assembly for the controls.

9. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

I have spent a lot of time cleaning this 1845C up. A lot of pressure washing and degreasing. I started the sanding and prepping after deciding not to sandblast the frame. It was less of a mess to sand.

Attached Files:

Marco Salcedo likes this.
  10. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

I disassembled the hand controls and prepped the ROPS frame. The cab was removed last week and is being sand blasted. The frame is in good shape but it needs a refresh. Lots of work but I get bored! It helps when your best buddy owns a body shop. Nobody is around on the weekends and evenings!

Attached Files:

Marco Salcedo likes this.
  11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    I know you said you were going to be using this machine at a high altitude but do you really need paint spec'd for a Mars Rover?

Forget, is this the Case that had the problem with the park brake lock pins or was that some other guy?

To be honest,I did not really like the 1845C when we got the new one at the quarry back in March of 1989, I felt the steering was not as smooth as the older 1845 skid's I was familiar with at the time. That said when I retired in April of 2015 that was one of the few machines I would have liked to have taken home as a retirement gift. No luck! Boss said they still needed it!:(

Two things I want to see from this project. First a glamour shot once it is all back together nice clean and shinny. Second a shot of it hard at work up in the mountains.

12. phil314

phil314 Senior Member

Instigator of Choas
    Great work so far. I bet it will look awesome when you are done.
    I've always thought the one great addition to an 1845c would be a full set of real gauges.
    Since you're going to all this work, why not fab up a panel and wire in some gauges to monitor the engine and hydraulics better.
    There was a thread a while ago from a guy who did something similar.

Found it:
    https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...ngine-tmd20-vs-v2203.30130/page-2#post-446442

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Larpy likes this.
  13. Jeepwalker

Jeepwalker Senior Member

If your engine cover is as sloppy as most, now would be a good time to weld in another support, before you paint it ...re-do the door hinge right, like Case should have. Seems like they all sort of hang off at a cockeyed angle.

Here's another tip: you could remove a bunch of normally plated parts (like the lines, fittings, bolts, etc) that might be rusty or gray and old-looking, and send them to a cad plater. Probably get everything chemically stripped and re-plated like new for $150. Not sure if you want to go that route. I put a pile of Corvette parts and bolts together once. One pile to be yellow cad plated, the other silver cad plated. They did them all and it was like $50 for each pile. Came back looking like new!

Nice work BTW. (click below for pics) Sorry I couldn't get them to show
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Marco Salcedo and Tenwheeler like this.
  14. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

The paint or epoxy was purchased for a capsule but the specs were later changed and two gallons of extremely expensive product was left. We have had to send it out to be tinted by the manufacturer which takes a few weeks.

My 1845C has all the parking brake parts so I am lucky. The previous owner unhooked all of it though. It am going to get it working again! I will definitely post some after pics!

15. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

I have had the flu so my progress has slowed but I was able to locate an enclosed cab setup for my skidsteer! Super excited about that because it gets cold at 10,400 feet! I also spent some time disassembling the hand controls for media blasting which I will do tomorrow.

Attached Files:

16. phil314

phil314 Senior Member

Instigator of Choas
    Take lots of pictures as you take things apart.
    Taking it apart is always easier than putting it all back together.

17. Dmoneyallstar

Dmoneyallstar Well-Known Member

Wow, that thing looked pretty clean on the inside in your "before" pics -- definitely cleaner than mine. Hardly any rust in yours. Looks like it was stored indoors for most of its life.

18. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

My best friend owns a body shop too and I restored my 751F like u are. I started sanding but eventually blasted it all. I have 110 hours in mine w repairs and paint but was worth it. I used PPG epoxy primer over PPG fleet 2 part for finish. Like a brand new machine the decals are icing on the cake. Good luck w it I feel your pain and pleasure. Looks great so far

3X8 likes this.
  19. Larpy

Larpy Well-Known Member

My brother's untimely death and estate settlement has slowed my progress but I do progress. 7 plus hours of media blasting on the ROPS and base along with the linkage to the hand controls is done and painted.

I removed the lift arm and will soon media blast it. Having the right equipment helps! The fork lift is a huge benefit!

Attached Files:

phil314 and 3X8 like this.
  20. sims

sims Well-Known Member

Larpy;
    Do I see a weld bead across your lift arm? If so, you might want to "fish plate" that repair to prevent it from breaking again. Butt welding a crack in a high stress application is not the best repair. Keep up the good work. Your restoration is looking great.
    SimS