• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c oil

jsummerland

Hey fellas so I just changed my oil and everything that I have read says it takes 6.7 quarts. Had a 7 quart drain pan it filled it and then some. Took almost 10 quarts to put at full on dipstick. Last time I changed it was 4yrs ago only put 150hrs on it. What's your thoughts? Wrong dip stick? Oil cooler that I'm not seeing? Not sure what to do. It's obviously been runnig with this much oil for the whole time I've owned it and probably previous owner also.

Welder Dave

Is 6.7 quarts the capacity of just the reservoir or the complete system? All the lines and hyd. components can hold a lot more oil than the reservoir.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Is 6.7 quarts the capacity of just the reservoir or the complete system? All the lines and hyd. components can hold a lot more oil than the reservoir.
Just to be clear are we talking engine oil capacity or hydraulic system?

If engine oil, any chance there is a part number on the dipstick to check to see if it's the right one?

Bluox

Hey fellas so I just changed my oil and everything that I have read says it takes 6.7 quarts. Had a 7 quart drain pan it filled it and then some. Took almost 10 quarts to put at full on dipstick. Last time I changed it was 4yrs ago only put 150hrs on it. What's your thoughts? Wrong dip stick? Oil cooler that I'm not seeing? Not sure what to do. It's obviously been runnig with this much oil for the whole time I've owned it and probably previous owner also.
If its a cummins engine that's about right.
Bob

Don Che

I was wondering the exact same thing. I just purchased a 1994 1845C and was changing all the fluids. I to read engine oil capacity was 6.7 quarts. I checked the oil level before draining, and it was right at the full mark. When I drained it, I got about 3 gallons in a 5-gallon bucket. It took around 3 gallons to fill with a new filter. I was worried that the dip stick tube must have changed, but it all looked to be in good shape and original. Good to hear that your manual said 11 quarts. I feel better knowing that it is fine.