• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845C Engine Temp Light

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to the forum greyrider :drinkup
Usually you would check the switch to start with - try disconnecting it & see if the light goes out. It is located near where the top radiator hose goes on to the cylinder head.
If the light goes out, while wire is off - you need a new sender unit.

thegreyrider

Thats good to know. I didnt realize that if i pulled the wire the light would go out, and that was the way to test. I picked up a new temp sensor already, i just havent swapped it yet, and seeing it was like 50 bucks if thats not it ill take it back.

pcweber

can we assume when hot it is a short to ground or is it still some resistance? (I ask because I would not mind confirming mine will work by shorting it and the wiring/ bulb is fine)

thegreyrider

I lent my loader to a friend this week, but i hope to have it back today. I am going to pull the wire and see if the light goes out. either way i did pick up a temp sensor, so regardless of the results of pulling the wire off the sensor i will replace the sensor. I will update this thread with the results of pulling the wire as to whether the light status changed, and if the sensor was the issue.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The temp sender is a switch to ground. By shorting the wire to ground the light should be on & alarm should sound.

thegreyrider

I did pull the wire and the light went out, although when i re-connected it the light is still out. Maybe the wire is shorted somewhere, not sure, but either way i dont think its the sensor itself.

Thanks all for the information.